Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have given my doodle a bath twice. He gets dirty and he starts to smell. I was just wondering if I should expect to take the dog to the groomers? I never thought of it but with a poodle coat I bet they need to be groomed. How old should the puppy be to go to the groomer?

Thanks.

G

·
If you like the longer, scruffy look (which I think is so adorable) you can put off grooming until the hair is too long for your liking. I waited until mine was about 9 months old & had his hair clipped to about 1 1/2 inches all over but left the tail alone so he could keep the "plume." I have since bought myself a dog clipper & do it myself -- very easy to do since I'm not going for a fancy poodle cut & Soooooo much cheaper. The cost of 2 grooming is more than the cost of good clippers from PetEdge.com. I brush my dogs 3 times a week, at least, & that keeps the dirt down, the hair is nice & fluffy & there's less smell that builds up, so I don't need to bathe him as often. You can also just touch-up the parts that need it - I trim his feet & private parts in between the all-over haircuts. Get your pup started early with being handled & groomed (ie touch their paws, comb & brush his legs, teach him to stay standing while you rub them all over, let him smell & hear the scissors or clippers without actually cutting anything, etc.) so it's a natural thing to him & he won't freak out when he has his first real grooming.
Good luck.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have been using a spray-on after bath conditioner on Sawyer in between baths as well. It smells great and keeps his skin from drying out.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I do love the scruffy look too. We have a doggie spa close to our house so maybe I will stop when it's time. Do you use a comb or brush. I do have a tool called the Furminator, but, that's for dogs that shed. I haven't had much shedding from Biscuit.

G

·
I use either a pin brush or a slicker brush. Odie seems to prefer the pin brush - I think it pulls the hair less if there happens to be a little snarl, but I think the slicker brush gets out more dirt & loose hair. Odie doesn't shed all over the place the ways Labs do but there is always some hair that comes out with a good brushing.
A question for Keywee - what type of conditioner spray do you use? Pet or human? Someone told me it's OK to use people products on my doodle since he has hair, not fur. I never have, I'm worried it might bother his skin. Anyone have thoughts on this?

·
Registered
209 Posts
The product we use is after bath conditioner by PPP, Professional Pet Products, Inc. It is a company out of Miami. The ingredients are not listed but it says it contains oatmeal and it smells great.

I used to use tea tree oil from the health food store on my Lab/Shepherd, Ollie. It was soothing for his hot spots and the mosquitoes hate it. But I noticed that there are specially formulated tea tree shampoos and conditioners for dogs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
we found the greatest solution- petsmart has a 'puppy bath and brush' for 9.99 if the dog is 5 months or younger... the brush teeth, clean ears, trim nails, and shampoo and dry her, plus a bandana or bows, of course! we have been doing it since chloe was little to get her used to being groomed. she loves it!b if all else fails, we definitely let her jump in some water at the park to clean off! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts