Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boiled eggs WITHOUT peeling them? Just letting your dogs eat the shell?
I know that the shell is good for them and that grinding it into food is done, but what about just letting the dog play with and eat a boiled egg, shell and all...dangerous?
(I can just imagine how much fun for everyone if the egg is whole and sliding all over the place! LOL)
I'm wanting to feed the 2 eggs per day, as a discussion on another forum said that there are test results showing that 2 eggs per day protect eye health and thought it would be a fun way to feed it, but I have never heard of it before.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I've never given AB a whole egg, she loves scrambled egg beaters though.
I'd be afraid of her swallowing it whole and getting it stuck in her throat.
My labs loved hardboiled eggs - I'd peel and cut themin 1/4s for them, they also loved them scrambled

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Annabelle loves treats - at least any of the ones we have tried, have you tried the chicken poppers ? dried chicken/rice in little balls, we get them at pets mart - nice an crunchy, those are her after dinner treats, she gets 2 when we finish our dinner for being a good girl and staying in the living room while we eat

As for the eggbeaters, DH adds cheese them - not too spoiled :lol:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys are funny!
Actually, on the breeder's forum they talk about a scientific study at the University of Kentucky, I believe, that said that dogs who ate 2 eggs per day (especially the yoke) actually had cataracts cured! It was quite a study...so now they are saying that they will prevent cataracts and such...no harm in trying, it is good protein for them.
My dogs love scrambled eggs too...but I have to scramble about 4 dozen eggs for one meal!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver also is not a fan of egg white but I have given
him crushed egg shell mixed with oatmeal and chicken
and he will eat this, but if the shell pieces are too big he spits them out.
Bahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa(fussy boy)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is funny! I can just imagine Denver spitooooing the shells!
My dogs like to chew up things that crack and break, like plastic bowls, so I would think they would like egg shells too....but I am a bit timid to try.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I can just imagine Denver spitooooing the shells
Sorry but you just reminded me of an incident I need to share!!! I was feeding watermelon chunks to a doe, rind and all, and she ate it all quite happily. A few minutes later a buck comes along and I fed him the same thing. As I waited and waited, he chewed and chewed and chewed. Finally, spitooo!!! He managed to digest all of the pulp and "spitoo" all of the rinds!" :roll: :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cute! Animals are so amazing...bet you laughed a lot at that...wish you would have had a camera (video!)

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
OK--mixed two scrambled eggs with cheese in Dakota's food this morning and, GULP, :roll: it's gone!!! I have become very sensitive to eye issues in dogs. Our lake neighbors have a beautiful German Wirehaired Pointer who first lost one eye and recently the other to glaucoma, I believe. It is so sad because, even at 11 years, he still has so much puppy in him--loves to take walks, play and whatever. I guess it's harder on people than it is on him. In his house, he's a bit like a robo vacuum, and I say that with the greatest affection--it doesn't seem to dampen his spirits a bit.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I am sure it is too late for your neighbor's dog, but you never know...it is worth a try. The test run at the university really was amazing...it can't hurt!
Bet Dakota loved the new diet! :eek:)

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I would worry about the eggshell being too sharp and irritating to their gut. :shock:

That's really interesting though how healthy eggs are for their eyes. We'll have to try some egg added to Cali's diet. Sounds like I should start with scrambled since there seems to be a general dislike for egg white.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought that too, about the egg shells, but a woman on the breeder's forum, a very well respected scientist, said that there is a fun kid's experiment with hard egg shells and vinegar and how they become like jelly when combined...she said that the acid in the stomach would do the same...still, I don't want to do something stupid, so I'll probably just peel them! (I am a coward, you know :? )

·
Registered
462 Posts
AHHH the EGG experiment. From YEARS of science projects, I do remember that one. There are definitely chemicals that "destroy" the shell. I remember reading this somewhere before, as well, about the egg shells I mean.

I'm thinking about hard-boiling eggs for Anthony and me tonight, perhaps I'll make a few extra for Napa.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I've been reading all the replies here...wish I could help Jac but last March when max and peanut had just a tiny bit of scrambled eggs they got the "mushy poops" :roll: so no eggs here

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Molly and Raleigh LOVE eggs!!! I scramble them for them once a week...but I certainly would love to try the hard-boiled version!!! Molly would snarf the whole thing down without chewing... :shock: should have named her 'Hoover'!!! But Raleigh on the other hand would have a good time playing with it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts