Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...me again!

How do you go about getting dogs tested for their DNA so you know what colors they will throw? How can I learn more about that subject in general? What I've read so far makes my head spin! :p

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Julie, you can order a color DNA kit from VetGen at 1-800-625-0874 Color is so confusing but I do know that black is dominant and since you have a black dog, you need to stay clear of dogs throwing black, unless you are wanting to breed for black but, from talking with you, I don't think you do. I have a black Lab that when bred to our chocolate Lab would always throw all three colors and even amounts of each, 3 chocolate, 3 yellow (one or two always being a fox red) and 3 black. She was always very consistant. When I bred her to Mikko (bbee), she threw the most gorgeous litter of creams with a variety of apricots, caramels, reds. So, go figure. She obviously has a wide variety of color genes in her DNA. I would love to learn more about color. Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Isn't red, apricot, cream all the same gene? I know they are a couple in there so you never know for sure if they test with that gene exactly what the pups will be. That is probably why Di's Maggie threw what she did. Anyone know for sure what the colors are?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
good info! and www.vetgen.com is a HUGE help!

Yes, red, apricot, cream, yellow, etc. are all the same color, genetically. It does seem that there must be secondary genes that determine this stuff, since some reds reproduce reds, and the apricot stud I used gave us a really nice apricot boy, in addition to a cream girl. I wonder about this stuff a lot, but getting testing done on the black, blue, silver dogs I have has been worth it, to me.

I'm happy to help in emails (I prefer that to pm's) if you need other help. but if you go to the CHROMAGENE chart for Poodles you will get some preliminary help from Vetgen.

Best wishes!

Also: Bryan ...can't remember their website...is a scientist and breeder who will help for free if he or Leisa are on the forum. :wink: If you have the pedigrees from your black dogs you MIGHT be able to figure it out.

hope this helps......

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Maureen, I think you are talking about Bryan with Little Sioux Labradoodles and his e-mail is [email protected]

He is very happy to talk with anyone about color:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts