Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally thought I had a shot at adopting a doodle today! Last night on petfinder I found the perfect doodle!! She was close to home (kind of) just added to the website so I filled out the application and faxed it in. I then emailed the organization to let them know I was interested and fill out and faxed in an application. I called at 9:00 this morning to find out if they had received my application, which they had and mine was the first. YEAH!! I am so excited at this point, didn't sleep a wink last night. I let them know I was leaving right then and I was several hours away about 3.5 to be exact. They told me it's first come first serve, so they have my application as first right!!! WRONG - I arrive five minutes after they open. Three people in front of me, not regaurds given to the fact that I had faxed in an application, emailed them and spoken to them on the phone twice. So at 1:20 the they posted an "I'm Adopted" sticker on the kennel door. First man in the door got the doodle.

Well, in my world of animal loving I would have thought since there were other waiting that maybe they would have interviewed everyone to see if who was the best for the dog. I mean really isn't that what it's about, what's best for the dog not who's first in the door. Is my thinking wrong on this?

Well needless to say I'm very sad tonight!!! :(

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
So sorry to hear that. Don't worry just take it easy and you doodle is out there. You will find them.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
awwww, I'm sorry for the disappointment, I thought prospective owners were interviewed, but I guess all shelters/rescues work different.

Your perfect doodle is out there waiting and when you find him/her you will know why this one was not meant to be with you

hugs
M

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone!!!

I know this one just wasn't ment to be and I will find he/she one day!! I just want to do the right thing with trying to adopt and I know there will be many ups and downs and today is a down. :cry:

It's not like I don't already have the most perfect lab on earth, I just want him to have a brother or sister.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Digger 3 said:
Thanks everyone!!!

I know this one just wasn't ment to be and I will find he/she one day!! I just want to do the right thing with trying to adopt and I know there will be many ups and downs and today is a down. :cry:

It's not like I don't already have the most perfect lab on earth, I just want him to have a brother or sister.
Your positive attitude will carry you thru the down days !

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's awful! Something very similar happened to us. There was a LD up for adoption through BARK. It was a unique situation - the owner still had custody. We met her and she met our family. She was a single, working, senior who lived alone and the dog was crated 10 hrs per day. I thought she'd be impressed with what we had to offer - a family of 5, big yard, teacher hours (MUCH less crate time). The dog seemed to have some socialization issues, was a barker, and a big leash puller. I was determined to have an LD and I considered this an omen that here was one at our local BARK adoption fair. We filled out the app immed. on Sat., and I immediately starting making doggy purchases. Monday, I found we were denied with no explanation! I requested an explanation from BARK and they said the owner wanted a family w/other dogs and older kids (mine are 6, 7, 10). I said, "well good luck" and was so insulted. We felt we had so much to offer the dog. Anyway, we were not going to go through that again so decided to get a puppy and now I have my dream dog, and did not have to deal with all that lady's mistakes. My kids are all great little pack leaders. Everyone told me things happen for a reason, I believe this!

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I'm so sorry! How disappointing!!! there WILL be another doodle for you!! How sad though.... :cry:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Digger, that is really disappointing...and I agree that it is wrong of the shelter to take the first application. What about finding the right family for the dog? They just wanted him out the door! Ugh!

You might want to contact the IDOG rescue, they try to rescue most doodles that they find in shelters and they put people on waiting lists...after interviewing them! And, if the situation is right they will transport doodles to families.

Look at the rescue part of www.idog.biz

Best wishes.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Digger...Jenny is quite a doggie match-maker. She introduced me to Juno and she's the perfect addition to my little family. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
KGarro said:
Digger...Jenny is quite a doggie match-maker. She introduced me to Juno and she's the perfect addition to my little family. Good luck.
Oh stop it Katie, You're gonna make me BLUSH :oops:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
digger perhaps things happen for a reason and YOUR DOODLE meant just for you is still waiting for you to find him/her :D

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
strange, i had a similar situation..

befor we got Toby i had seen a 2mos. old yellow lab at the same
shelter we got Sabrina..after 10 yr s they still remembered me and
Sabrina..i filled out the adoption form s..

and when i arrived i was told that she had been adopted about a 1/2hr
earlier :( ..the good new s was that as i was Googling Labs. i came across
DOODLES..which i quickly did alot of research over a 3 month period
befor deciding on bringing Toby into our family.. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts