Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
Any thoughts on keeping the hair right under the mouth clean?
Zuzu is an apricot color and her right at the sides of her mouth is darker. We keep it trimmed but I have seen photos of lighter dogs that dont have this problem.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Jen

·
Registered
163 Posts
Boone always keeps his mouth nice and clean by wiping it on my sofa, legs, carpet, walls after he eats!
Ummm, I think I'd rather him be a dirty mouth than messing up my sofa all the time haha.
You can always use some baby wipes on her chin after she eats. The coat colour does vary tho, so it may be that the hair there is just a little darker.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Its not dirty just discolored? Its a darker color. I should post a picture but I dont think I have one that shows it well enough.
Any thoughts for that?
Thanks for the suggestions!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
We used to have a bichon and a white std poodle who got the same thing... I am not sure, maybe it is stained from the food? or maybe because it is always wet it changes colors? I know when Simon (bichon) used to lick his leg often, it would also change color... so maybe it from his licking his mouth after eating/drinking. Not sure there is anythign you can do... anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Any kind of red dye in food will discolor the fur also. It even causes tear staining, if any, to be darker. What kind of food dishes are you using? Stainless is the best for avoiding staining - I hear that ceramic also works. Another cause of this is iron in the water. The staining isn't necessarily from the water or food itself but from the animal's system and comes out in the bodily secretion. I'd say his chin whiskers are from his water/slobber drips. :?

·
Registered
279 Posts
My Old English Sheepdog had dark stains around his white mouth. Try an enzyme spray (made for dogs). The enzymes break down the protein in the stain. Makes 'em smell good too. I use Fresh Ayre (?) from our pet store. Check the label to make sure it's one you can spray right on the coat. Might have to repeat it, but it helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts