Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....I was thinking, dilute is recessive, and I have seen silver F1's & apricot colored F1's (also supposed to be a dilute of red).
If it takes both parents to carry a recessive gene to get a recessive colored pup, what color is dilute in Labs?? :?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
KingstonTodd said:
The "silver" lab is a dilute chocolate according to AKC.
I believe that is the only dilute gene in labs isnt it?

Im actually more up on the genes in Australian Shepherds, Getting pretty good with Poodles,
have to say with the Doodles its a crap shoot, heck even after they are born, they change colors like christmas especially the blacks ,, :? :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
LOL.......I was thinking the same thing.........dilute gene? hahahaha!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
BECKY you're becoming a number one Hooligan lately and I LOVE IT!!

hidden recessive genes will always puzzle us to no end.
Poodles also have 21 colors then add in the lab and/or golden retriever
and it's almost like a whole new set of rules for color genetics.

Labs....i have seen one RED one someone has here...an example of hidden recessive coming out. and some genes are sex linked, thus the father has to pass it one then the mother's genetic makeup determines the outcome. and I saw my 1st charcoal lab a few months back too.

Silver is one dilute gene in labs.

Todd......if you do a search on google, a few main sites show up and will discuss labs and their genetic makeup. If i find one particular site i'll post it later

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Cinsmom said:
Why would anyone want to dilute Gene? Ok, maybe Annmaire, but he's ok in my book.
(Sorry, had to do it. Can you tell I didn't get much sleep last night? ) :lol:

Now back to the subject at hand...
I think the same thing.....dilute me, I'm recessive....sheesh!

Sorry.....back to the regularly scheduled program.... :oops:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow!! Thanks Tink! :D
I never realized all the dilute colors in Labs! I have seen various shades of yellow, and come to think of it, I have seen a silvery chocolate, but not Blue, Red or any other of the dillute shades!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Judi, what got me started looking into the dilute color genes in labs was that the woman I bought Hickory from called her a champagne... but she is of course registered as chocolate. She's a totally different shade of chocolate from my previous lab.

This is Hickory... referred to as champagne...

This is Montana, who was simply called chocolate... but in the sunlight had a very red tone to her.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts