Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is with great regret that I am writing this post. :cry: Even though our Charlie is a great dog, he is beginning to be a bit too much for our family. For starters, our daughters allergies & asthma, which we thought she outgrew, has begun to act up again. Also, my mother-in-law has just moved in with us, and unfortunatly, she is not much of a dog person. We thought our kids were ready for a dog too, but Charlie has tendencies to steal things, especially their stuffed animals, and they have not learned to put their stuff away, so he has ruined countless things of theirs. We love him dearly, but he has just become too much for our family. It's frustrating to me becasue he behaves so well when I am home with him, but he doesn't for my wife. He has a higher chance of getting into things when he is home alone with her and the kids.

I hate to give him to someone we don't know, so if anyone here is interested let me know. We are in southeast Massachusetts.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Divorce the wife put the kids up for adoption and send the mother in law packing. You and Charlie will live happily ever after :shock: OR Have a family meeting so that you can evaluate the situation with more accuracy. THEN if you can't find a solution, Rehome. I say this because it's a hard spot you are in. As a kid in the 50's I NEVER FORGOT my dad 'taking our dog for a ride', it broke my heart. As a dad in the 70's I got custody of THE DOG at the divorce. As a son in law in 2008, my wife's mom whom I love as my own lives--three floors above us in the same Condo :wink:
BTW My wife has agreed to take Abby to OB classes because I have a problem with her innocently 'untraining' her. Perhaps if you can involve the family in training Charlie it can be turned into a positive!... Good Luck!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I agree that this decision should be made giving weight to all of the factors and all of the players...and looking at what is right for Charlie. He sounds like a great dog.
But if the decision has been made and there is no room for negotiation, then you might want to contact IDOG rescue. They have waiting lists for doodles and have foster families to help out in the interim if necessary. They operate nationally.
http://www.idog.biz/IDOGRRR.html
(By the way, IDOG is Shannon...and Jo.)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hahhaaa MTD!!!

seriously can you have a family discussion as to how everyone could work as a team?
if not contacting Shannon is great as she operates a rescue of doodles in almost all of the US now.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
This IS very sad.
Is the allergy from Charlie for sure? If so, that might be tough. But, I can't help agree that if everyone loves Charlie, there has to be a way to work this out????
How old is Charlie?....How old are the kids?
Would obedience school help? At Bogie's class, we have families come in and work with their dogs........parents to little kids. I hope there's a way.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
This is a hard. But I agree with everyone here. Just have a family meeting and talk it all out. This will be hard for everyone, the kids the most. We had a little Pom and she was a rescue dog we got. She was so messed up. So my husband had to take her back to the rescue we got her from. Our youngest took it so hard. And sometimes even now he will ask if he can see Sophie. Sophie would bite and growl at my kids. And she wouldn't walk on hard floor. She was so scared. We got her to calm down but she still would bite and not walk on hard floors. I think she needed a older person who didn't have kids.

But now our boys love Cacao. Cacao will play with the boys and take their socks. (another story)

Just make sure you find a good home for Charlie. I wish you lived near me and I had a bigger house I would offer. He looks so sweet.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
is there any way you'd contact Shannon(Phantom-Star) who runs a rescue for doodles if you have to give up Charlie?

if you put her name just as it is above in the search box and click find all terms.....her name will pop up
if not pm me and i'll give you her email

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We've had numerous meetings about how to live with the dog, and the kids have gotten better, but things are still kind of tough. We will keep Charlie as long as we have to to find a good home, we aren't just going to give him to anybody. I think we will look around to find a good obedience class too to see if that helps. He is only a year and a half old, so I know he still has a lot of puppy in him, so maybe with age he'll learn not to steal and things my kids leave around. I think part of it is our fault too, when my wife comes home with the kids in the afternoon, he's been in his cage all day and is full of energy, but with four kids it's hard to always give him the attention he wants right then.

As far as Molly's allergies go, when she was a baby our doctor told us pets were bad for her, that's why we got a labradoodle. For the most part he hasn't bothered her, but lately we've seen signs of her allergies coming back.

Has any one had experience with obediance classes at some place like Petco? For us it would be the most conveniant, but I don't know how good the classes are.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Has any one had experience with obediance classes at some place like Petco? For us it would be the most conveniant, but I don't know how good the classes are.
we took 2 obedience classes with Dexter at Petsmart. We liked one trainer a lot (would def take another class with her) but not the other one as much. I would go to the store and meet the trainer and see what yu think. I think the quality varies from store to store.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Soory to hear the bad news. Hopefully a OB class will help, and the family will try little harder. With dogs you get what you give. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Stealing stuff....we realized very quickly with Dexter that the house has to be puppy-proofed just as one would baby-proof a house. The same kind of thought and commitment level has to be there....i.e. you wouldn't leave an open bottle of Drano on the coffee table with a baby, you have to take leaving a child's toy or a slipper JUST AS SERIOUSLY.

It's just what you have to do. It gets a little easier once you are completely immersed in that mind-set.

Good luck to all of you.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I think part of it is our fault too, when my wife comes home with the kids in the afternoon, he's been in his cage all day and is full of energy, but with four kids it's hard to always give him the attention he wants right then.

Do the children walk Charlie? I would suggest they do. Most trainers NOW realize that exercise (walking on lead) is very important to the dogs Psych.

As far as Molly's allergies go, when she was a baby our doctor told us pets were bad for her, that's why we got a labradoodle. For the most part he hasn't bothered her, but lately we've seen signs of her allergies coming back.

Sometimes it's stress that brings on those symptoms. My son had allergies and asthma attacks which his mom blamed on the Goldens. Later on I discovered it was the stress at home that brought on the respiratory symptoms. Now he is 28 and asthma and allergy free!

Has any one had experience with obediance classes at some place like Petco? For us it would be the most conveniant, but I don't know how good the classes are.[/quote]

Now you're talking!! My wife never had a trained dog (she's had 3 or 4 dogs) every night she gushes over how wonderful Abby behaves in public and the compliments people give her on her behavior (the dog not the wife :lol: ) Next week the two of them go to the Humane society to start basic OB classes. I would recommend the (book) DVD The Dog Whisperer by Paul Owen. I have both. Even the younger kids will enjoy watching Charlie learn his lessons from this video. It's all positive training with no scolding or manhandling of the dog. Best of Luck! If you need any more guidance :lol: Please do not hesitate to PM or ask on forum

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I agree..........go to Petco and talk to a trainer. Give that a shot!
The video's sound great too if you can get the kids involved. Make it a group FUN effort.
I honestly belive you'll have a GREAT dog that will fit right in and make eevryone happy for years to come. This doesn't happen overnight. But, doodles are so, so SMART! I can't believe how much Bogie can learn in just 2-3 times when things are repetaed.
I wish you luck!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I must respond to all the suggestions and thank you. However I want everyone to know that we are working very hard with Charlie and we do love him to death. We try our best to puppy proof the house, but at times when you have small children you need to have a balance of fairness. In other words my 4year has a difficult time keeping all his toys locked in his bedroom as at times he wants to play downstairs with them. We do try to walk Charlie as much as possible, and do admit we need to be more faithful with that as a family. It is difficult for me, Erin (wife), to walk the dog with 4 small children (8, 6, 6, and 4) everyday after school as I work all day, teaching middle school special needs, and want to give my children as well as Charlie attention on top of getting dinner started, laundry done, and homework under way. I love having Charlie and will do whatever we can to try and keep him, yet in the end I cannot let my children suffer if Charlie does not take to obedience classes. I guess I am just feeling a bit overwhelmed and want to have Charlie get all the attention and care he needs along with providing the same for my "human" children:)

Also a side note in reference to Molly's asthma, it is definitely not stress induced, and it is not that bad with Charlie, just when she gets a cold it acts up a bit more. Molly is a twin and ahe has always been prone to respiratory issues, so it is the "real deal." Really as far as we are concerned her asthma is not the primary issue for considering having to rehome Charlie.

We will be looking into obedience classes and do whatever we can to keep him here in our home. We do love him dearly and it is a hard thing to even consider. Thank you all for your support. I know all the intentions are good. There are just many factors that have to be looked at.

Thanks,

Erin

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hi Erin,
I was looking back at your posts and noticed that you adopted Charlie last August. Your posts indicated that he was behaving very well.

Could this change in behavior have to do with the fact that it's been a long cold winter and maybe he and the kids haven't been playing outside enough?

You mentioned that you have a hard time walking Charlie as much as he needs. It is alot harder in the very cold winter months.

Take heed! Today is the first day of Spring acording to the meteorlogical calendar.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Just a quick note to address the allergy issues...it seems odd to me that the allergies are coming on now when they have not been a trouble at first (with Charlie)...it makes me wonder if Charlie is getting into things that stay in his coat, causing the allergies? Like playing with another dog or cat, or possibly getting some pollen in his coat...or even the scent of his shampoo.

Training classes are excellent...but you still have to take the time with the pup to reinforce, daily, what they have learned...and I am NOT suggesting that mother do this...it should be a family project where everyone joins because Charlie has to learn that commands from mom are important and that so are the commands from every child. The only way Charlie will find his place is to learn what you want...he can only do that with consistent training. (Ask about teaching him "leave it" and "drop it" as a basic command.)

He is going through a chewing phase, he has to set his permanent teeth, so he will try to chew on everything. I'd make sure he has lots of safe chewies.

Finally, the exercise is a huge issue. These dogs really are high energy dogs...they are retrievers. So, walks and ball playing are great. Be sure that your children know not to play too rough with him or he will think that is okay...no games of chase or keep away or tug...

Best wishes to you...you really have made it very close to his maturity...I hope that he settles soon...at least with good commands and obedience training, he should.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Is there a doggie daycare near you. Even a couple of days a week (like Tuesdays and Thursdays) does wonders to completely tire them out - there is usually day after tiredness too. That way, when you come home you'll have a sleeping doodle instead of one with pent up energy.

We just took Henry to doggie daycare today - only for four hours and he is fast asleep on the couch. It is 4:00 here and this is usually his crazy time.

I hope things work out for you guys but if you have to rehome him I'm sure you'll get some help from this forum.

Good luck.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I don't have any advice, but just wanted to say I hope everything works out for your family and Charlie. If you have to give him up, I hope you have luck finding a good family. I can only imagine how much work it is to have 4 kids much less an energetic dog on top of it :shock:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts