Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you train your doodle not to dig in the middle of your flower bed, and well any place?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Distraction, distraction, and distraction. If she has a favorite spot you can bury a Cacao turd in there; that supposedly discourages them. She may need to spend more time on the leash when she's outside than you'd like, though, until she learns. I'm working on teaching Chouette to stay out of the flower beds, but it's a slow process, since I'm shaping behavior rather than teaching a very specific lesson. But she's 11 months old so it's easier.

There are also products you can use to sprinkle in areas you want her to stay away from. If you don't have a lot of flower beds that could work.

Leslie

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
stay out there with your doodle and say NO each time and redirect their attention with a ball, walking/running in other direction, frisbee etc

digging is natural instinct so i try to have ONE or two areas my doodles can Dig and teach them where NOT to dig. so far Max and Peanut responded well......we'll see with Beau this Spring.

they know which gardens to stay out of out and which one they can run through. Takes quite a few no's then praising for listening and redirecting them.

OH think of it this way: inside your home they've been taught to leave certain things alone, same philosophy outside

·
Registered
77 Posts
we heard from our neighbr that if they are digging a hole put there poop in it. we tried it and it works for us! good luck

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Having the same trouble with my little doodle these days! Guess I'll be shoveling some Tyke poop into all those holes!!!!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
hmmm...didn't know about the poop trick :)

Dex never dug until we got Kirby...then Kirby showed him how to dig :twisted: We got them to stop by not leaving them unattended together very much and telling them "no" when we caught them. We'll see what happens when the weather gets nicer. Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I have been meaning to ask the same thing!!! I have been told, that digging is a sign of needing more exercise or boredom... but, Lucas will sometimes dig at the end of a 2 hour walk, that includes 30-45 mins of fetch!!! Sooo... perhaps sometimes, this is something they just do? Often as part of his zoommie ritual??? Anyway, I heard the poop thing as well, it does work... but only for that spot... problem is, he finds new spots!

I hate him... I love him... I hate him...I love him....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts