Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have two labradoodles, seven 1/2 months old, who are digging very DEEP holes in my yard! A small child could step into them and disappear. I keep filling them, and tamping down - but, no success. They just come back. They favor one area (of course it is a high traffic area!), but, they will dig almost anywhere. I have even seen them try to dig in their crate. LOL. Any suggestions on how to stop this? I can't watch them all the time when they are outside - and they are awfully quick at digging.
Thanks. Annemarie.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Annemarie, we have diggers too and I can relate...but take heart, it will stop. When they get past the puppy stage, they lose interest in digging unless they need a cool place to lie down.
We used to laugh that we could plant trees where they dug...probably should have!
I have read that if you put their own poop in the hole they won't dig...I have never tried it so I don't know if it works or not.
We just found a special place in the yard and let them have it as their digging area...we hid things in it so that they would find treasures. It was sort of fun for us all!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Funny you should post this now! :lol: We put in an electric fence to keep our 6 month old and 3 month old doodles out of the gardens they were destroying plants and digging holes. Plants are safe, now they have been digging in the gravel potty area and ripping out clumps of grass and digging in the dirt spot they created. :( I tried chili powder, didn't work. I'll try the poop, thanks for the suggestion. I am going to create a doodle jungle of their own, just have to figure out what to put in it! They had so much fun romping the plants, just not in my gardens!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
That is a great idea to put a jungle for them! When our dogs were small, we lived in the city and our over-grown yard was a jungle for them...they LOVED it! They made little tunnels in the myrtle...they were forever running around through that stuff!
We also had an old, very OLD, tree stump that the previous owners tried to get out...to no avail...and we tried...to no avail. Then we got two small Labradoodles...and within a month, no more stump! (We should hire them out, don't you agree?)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks Jac and double-doodle. I think I will try both tips - I will fill the massive holes with some poop (!) and then sprinkle some cayenne on top. They do have a nice cool place to retreat to in the heat, as I ran the electric wire up around an area of pine trees in the back. FOr the time being I want them to focus on that area as being there destructive play site... they have huge holes back there too, which I have chosen to ignore. The only negative about that spot being their playzone, is that I can't see them romping (which is so cute!). And Lisa, they have also destroyed about half my perrenial garden which encircled my brick patio. I am hoping that the stuff grows back next season, and that, as Jac says, they will be much calmer by then. Fingers crossed! On the whole though, I would have to say that compared to other puppies, labradoodles seem to be pretty calm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts