Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
argh. any advice for discouraging a dog from digging holes in the yard? we got an invisible fence a couple of weeks ago and were so excited that maggie could go out and play. well, now she's digging holes in the yard.

any ideas on how to discourage this or will we always have to be outside with her??

·
Registered
215 Posts
There are lots of different opinions on digging, but if she is digging in the same spots you could put some of her poop into the holes. Not too many dogs want to dig in their own poop! Some people say you can give them a place to dig, kind of like a sand box for a child, and teach them that it is the only place they can dig.
When I was younger, my family had a lab on an electric fence. Our house was on a little over an acre. You would think that our dog was in doggie paradise, but she dug holes like crazy. She was just bored. We ended up cutting a small hole in a few tennis balls and filling them with her breakfast or dinner. It kept her busy and the hole digging stopped! You could also do the same with kongs or other toys/bones. Good luck!

Bridget, Summer, and Duke

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, boy...that is a tough one. Our dogs are diggers too...it is just something that the Lab (and Golden) love to do...so it is in their nature. And, it is a tough habit to break, but do work on it now while your pup is young.
The key to this, and any other behavorial problem is to keep the dog in a safe place unless you can supervise her every second. That way you are there to stop the behavior the second it starts.
Whatever method you use, it is best to do it immediately. You could tether her to you too, that works well for training a new pup.
Good luck!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Fred's a digger also. I fill the holes in, but he often digs them up again. I have a hole right in the middle of the front lawn where he likes to keep one of his favorite toys--his red whisk broom. I try to keep the front looking nice and tidy, but Fred has other ideas--so my yard is now decorated with holes, the whisk broom (usually in its special hole), his favorite plastic water dish, some sticks and some balls (really flat pieces of plastic), and of course, Fred. He usually potties in the back, but every now and then he decides to decorate one of the small shrubs in front of the house with a nice dropping. :lol: It's a sight. One good thing about a digger though--if you have moles, they will dig them up--of course that leaves a really big hole.
Ronnie

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
hahahahaha! Tooooo funny!

I decided that since we live in the mountains, I'll just plant trees when they dig big enough holes!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts