Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been scouring websites and this forum looking at pictures of pups...they are so darn cute!

I have noticed that some pups have shorter snouts than others. Can I assume that they ones with shorter noses will look more like labs in the face while the longer nosed ones like poodles? Or do their noses change over time and there is no good indicator?

Second question; if the nose IS a good indicator, does that men the labby looking ones are less likely to have the "poodle tummy" that I keep reading about because they are more labby in body type? Or do owners out there have very labby looking dogs who still have the sensitive tummies?

Thanks for any help with this one!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I have no idea about the correlation between noses and tummies....
I do know that some breeders have expressed a desire to produce puppies with a little more boxey shaped head and snout, as opposed to the poodley type. Australians seem to have the boxier type for the most part, I think....but then I may totally wrong about this.

If the poodle trait is very evident and strong in appearance, it would make sense to me that maybe the tummy could be like a poodle's too?
:?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
cissy...........max is a f1 LD, long snout like his poodle dad, scruffy with lab chest but light on his feet and prances like a poodle, has a senstive tummy that seems to be getting much better than last year.

a Nose and stomach.....genetically i cannot see any correlation with digestion , color and structure since it is a genetic hybrid dog the LD

·
Registered
483 Posts
The size of the nose would vary depending on the age of the puppy in the photo, and I'd see no reason to find a relationship between the stomach and the nose.

As said before, the Labradoodle is a hybrid, and inherits many genes from each side of the family, so the mix would be the luck of the draw. Though I haven't done genetic mapping, I can't imagine the nose and stomach traits being on the same gene. As Maureen said, you are wise to ask questions!

(Great avatar, Maureen!)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts