Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, though i make jokes calling Peanut: porky princess peanut

I finally realized this week she looked a big wider than usual.
I cut back her food intake recently too.

I weighed her tonight and she is 65lbs :shock: and only 21.5 tall
she does have a broad frame to begin with but I am seriously considering calling my vet. I have never had a porky dog before ...ever

She eats Canidae all life stages food and she gets 2 to 2.5 cups a day depending on activity level , such as how many 30 min walks/runs out back etc

So is there any food too anyone recommends? i wonder if California Natural Fish one may have protein, veggies, fish and less calories?

Peanut is 10.5 mos old right now and I'd hate to have a doodle that looks like a KEG on Legs hahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
It is so easy for dogs to put on a few xtra pounds, I'd prob take AB to vet or call them if she did that just to make sure she was ok also

I'm not sure on a diet food, I know our friends had Hankiepoo on Iams diet food and he was slowly loosing and sadly, for some reason, they have taken him off that and now he is getting porkier, he is really, really overweight :( Running with AB this week has been good for him.

Here is a link to Drs Foster & Smith with some FAQ & Answers on overweight dogs - might help a little

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/artic ... 4#answer_1

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Mary ....for now i am going to consider the amount carefully that she eats and also talk to my vet as well just to make sure all is ok too.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
First talk to the vet and find out is she really is overweight. Can you still feel her ribs? When my cocker started to turn into an ottoman....my vet had me cut is food in half and supplement green beans. Good fiber, no calories! :wink:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I had a lab that would sit and drool while I picked greenbeans from the garden, that and watermelon, always had to mop the floor, she made such a mess between the drooling and then eating the goodies, espeically the watermelon, worse than a little kid.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I agree Annmarie
Talk to the vet first because what you are
feeding her does not sound like too much at all.
Denver eats 1 can of canidae or one cup of chicken/oatmeal
plus 4-5 cups of dry Canidae and he is still skinny..............

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I agree with everyone Annmarie....see what the vet thinks....also, if you LIKE the Canidae, they have a Platinum version for seniors...same basic ingredients, with less calories.....good luck, and keep us posted! :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gene...seriously this week trying to feel her ribs , well let's put it this way bobbing for apples is easier.
when you look from the top down.....well its a shocker
I knew immediately she gained weight earlier this week

rule 1. When anyone feeds her they have to check off the list with their name on the sheet of paper on my fridge door

rule 2 talk to vet

rule 3: write down amount fed....and/or check off box with amount to give and use MOM's measuring cup

funny when you look at her sideways she's fine but from top or when she sits OMG

calling vet in morning while at work

I really appreciate your help everyone!! :D

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
This brings to mind a quandry we had many years ago with a german shepherd female. She'd had one front leg amputated so didn't need any extra weight or stress on the shoulder. Yet try as I might I could not keep that dog from gaining weight! I cut back on her food, made sure she wasn't snuck any table scraps, and still she just kept packing on the pounds!

Finally my dh discovered what our culprit was. Tara was going out back and scarfing up the food our neighbor was tossing out for her chickens! The neighbor worked in the elementary school cafeteria and brought home the scaps every day, which Tara was helping the chickens clean up!

So if you want to stay slim avoid public school lunches. LOL

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
LOL Tink !

Doggies are like us, some burn more calories than others - could be a thyroid problem, my nieces Golden had porked out really bad, had her tested and she had hypothryroidism, put her on meds and watched her diet

Let us know what the vet says

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll will let you all know what the vet says and i also am going to make sure she gets only a certain amount of food each day for now
and that NO ONE gives her 2 dinners.
Peanut is just too polite to say anything and always eats what is on her plate hahhaaaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
This sounds like she has the genes from the labs they love food any kind. A couple things you can do to help is steam carrots and a few potatos and mix in her food also this gives a little more but does not add the calories. :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Peanut definitely had a "thick" build to begin with but YES more veggies which are lower calories. I am also going to look at the %age of calories etc on Canidae bag more closely too.

Starting today, Dave was informed Breafast was served, eaten well, and kitchen is now closed for CANINES till 6pm
AND they had 2 walks this morning ...short ones , so by 9:30am they need a LONG one.
I am typing up a special FOOD , potty and exercise walk spreadsheet :D
this way NO 2 dinners, NO excuses, and we can SEE , have better idea and I am sure the vet will appreciate it as well.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
haha...poor Peanut. I cannot believe she is 65 lbs! That is now more than Dexter weighs :)

That's not very much food either...do you feed anything besides the Canidae? Hope you get some good advice from the vet.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
POOR PEANUT? HA!
Poor peanut's waistline is missing and we're going to help her find it again :D

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
And if that doesn't work sign her up for the Biggest Loser reality show,
she might lose weight and you might win fabulous prizes!

Peanut darlin' it's for your own good you know ... we still love you and wish you lot's of luck!

Gene .... started to look like an ottoman! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
FoodLady said:
And if that doesn't work sign her up for the Biggest Loser reality show,
she might lose weight and you might win fabulous prizes!

Peanut darlin' it's for your own good you know ... we still love you and wish you lot's of luck!

Gene .... started to look like an ottoman! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HEY you might be onto something....I could GAIN the WEIGHT my princess dog Peanut loses!!! new twist to reality shows hahahhaaa

then the humane society could also charge me with abuse for using Peanut as my very own ottomon for my sore tired aching feet hahahaaa

1 - 20 of 25 Posts