Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since last Thursday, Darwin's been suffering from diarrhea. He has to go 10+ times a day. Sometimes he just stands "in position", and nothing comes out. Sometimes he cries while doing this, so he must be in pain.
He was totally house-trained, but now is going in the house, day and night.
He didn't get into any Thanksgiving scraps. But we did go away for the night, and we thought that might have upset him (he was with us). But here it is, Monday night, and no improvement. I'm feeding him rice with his puppy eukanuba dry food (+ a little canned food).
Otherwise, he's his crazy little self. Jumping, chewing, playing . Did I mention chewing?
Is it time to take him to the vet? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Darwin's Mom :(

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
except for the crying, i had the same problem with jonah. after the vet ruled out worms, etc., he said probably either food allergy, or "nervous tummy". we changed to nutro ultra holistic dog food, and pepto-bismol chewables. ask you vet on dosage for darwins weight. good luck, nothing makes you feel worse than puppy runs! :cry:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
if it were me I would cut canned food out immediately.

if he is drinking water and peeing a normal amount of times a day I wouldnt worry about dehydration but I would watch for it.

I would feed little meals of dogfood he is used to eating several times a day, like maybe five not twenty five! very small portions perhaps 1/2 cup.

it should clear in a day or two if it gets worse I would call the vet and take a stool sample with me.

perhaps if your vet is agreeable you could call him and run this scenario by him and get his feelings on trying it a day or two before bringing him in.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I would for sure take Darwin into the vets. You can never be too safe and if he has had diarrhea for that long and seems to be in pain, I would say he needs a doctor's attention. Please keep us posted and let us know how Darwin is.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
duh guess I didnt read he has had it for four days... sorry I though it had just started. I never know what day it is!

yeah I would take him in too. Usuallly I go about two days before I am in seeing what is going on!

any news?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Yes, a vet visit is in order...puppies can get very sick very fast.
I hope that he is better today.
Generally when they are this bad (with poopies) there is a reason beyond food...usually parasites.
Getting them to drink a lot is important. It won't hurt to stop feeding for a little while (still pups can get low blood sugar so that isn't a long term fix) and, I give my pups a tiny bit of PeptoBismol. I use an syringe to get it past their mouth or it ends up spit out all over the place.
But it could be Girardia (sp?) or worms or any number of things...so it would be best to see a vet ASAP.
Please keep us posted...he is so adorable, love the new pics!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Darwin was fairly listless and not eating this morning, so we went to the vet, and as I suspected, the Thanksgiving day overnight at his Grandma's was too stressful for him. (that's the night he started getting sick) He has an overgrowth of an otherwise normal bacteria called clostridium. :evil: This bacteria reproduces too much when the animal (including us humans) is stressed out, and causes the diarrhea.
So the doc gave him a low residue puppy food to start tomorrow - no eating today. She also gave him some antibiotics.
Poor baby is sacked out on the couch now... He got his rabies vaccine and another booster while there.
Hope he feels better soon. He looks so sad. :(

Thanks for everyone's advice and concern.

G

·
Surprised at the rabies vaccine. Sometimes that can really throw them for a loop. It made Bella very tired, almost lethargic.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, I am so glad that the vet checked Darwin out and that he is okay...he has been through some tough days...I hope that tomorrow will be brighter for him.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I am soooo happy to hear Darwin is back to himself and feeling better!!! :D

Most of us here have gone through similar experiences.

glad darwin is "solid" again and driving you nuts :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts