Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lovely topic title, isn't it? Didn't it just make you want to click on this one?

Milo is having a bout of diarrhea. He seems chipper as ever, no lethargy, so I'm not too concerned. This is my first dog and this is the first time he's been sick this way, so I'd love some advice from those of you who have been through it.

I'm boiling white rice for his dinner and keeping his water bowl full. I've also heard boiling some hamburger to mix with the rice when he starts feeling better. Any other recommendations? How long have these lasted, in your experience?

Thanks for any help!

Caroline

G

·
Maya is the liquid butt queen. I now keep canned pumpkin on hand and give her a tablespoon of that for a few days with each meal. Usu firms things right up.

If it keeps up though call the vet. It could be some type of worms....don't worry it is really common and easy to treat as long as it is caught early.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We feed rice for diarrhea. I will add some pineapple to it for flavor (especially if we don't have chicken on hand) or just feed plain rice (ours love it!). You can also give Pepto (liquid or tablets)...1-2 tablets per dose (based on weight) should work. How old is your puppy? If he is young I would call the vet - if he is older I would give it a day to see if it clears up. Ours usually get better after 1 day on the rice diet.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sorry to hear that Milo's a bit under the weather. Jofi has just recovered from a week-long illness (throwing up, diarrhea in all its colours and forms - pretty patterns on the floor and interesting aromas.. hmmm). In her case she had worms (the dewormer didn't get them all even though it was a 'good' dewormer - also something to look out for with single use dewormers) and a bacterial parasite in her intestine/stomach, probably picked up from eating something she shouldn't have on the field.

Anyway, I've tried a lot of things the last week and she's finally back to normal again - I was soooo happy when she produced a solid pooh - soo happy!!

Firstly if the diarrhea lingers and/or if Milo has any other symptoms (sickness, lethargy) then best to get him to a vet and have a fecal sample checked.

For Jofi we were prescribed Finidiar tablets against diarrhea which seemed to help a little - i.e. she went from uncontrolled squirts to semi-controlled runny blobs (ok too much detail). I fed her on boiled (then later stir-fried - coz it tastes nicer) chicken breast with rice (and rice water) or noodles (and noodle water - Jofi prefers noodles - most of the rice got left). I also gave her cooked pumpkin - she wasn't keen on it so I blended it and mixed it with some mushed up banana and a little jam which helped a lot. When getting Milo back onto normal food, best to introduce it slowly - mixing a little bit with whatever she's been eating prior.

I feed Jofi a mixture of soft food (Naturesvariety - it's a natural fresh soft dog food - chicken/rice/carrot etc. - there are probably a good number of similar alternatives out there) - this does a good job at keeping her pooh solid. I also feed her some kibble - Hills Science Plan (large puppies) - but only 25% of her food is kibble as I find too much of this gives her soft pooh. I know a lot of people on here use Canidae (sp?) - I would use this but it's not available in Holland and buying it from abroad seems a bit OTT.

If Milo has had these problems for a while, it might be the food you're feeding him - some kibble is better than others - and some doodles are extra sensitive. There are various threads on this in the archives.

One thing - be careful if Milo is very young - puppies easily become dehydrated - if the diarrhea lasts more than a few days, it's really a good idea to see a vet.

I think I spent about 400 dollars on vets bills and on fresh chicken the last week (Jofi got through a LOT of chicken) - and that's not to mention getting a plummer out (I stupidly put some kitchen roll down the toilet after cleaning up one of Jofi's messes - was in a hurry) - anyway it blocked and the cellar flooded... long story - another 200 dollars later and everything seems about back to normal - :oops:

Good luck and hope Milo is back to health soon.

Libby

·
Registered
189 Posts
P.s. Caroline, Milo looks a real cutie. Jofi is also my first dog - I was so worried the last week with her being sick - so I can empathise with what you are going through. The emergency vet actually suggested starting first on chicken and then after a day or two adding rice. I made sure the food was submersed in water (rice water is very good). This way the dog has to drink in order to get to the food - it makes sure they are getting a lot of water.

Libby

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
OH Caroline my heart goes out to you and your doodle.
we were the Poop experts here last year with Max having diarrhea for 7 weeks straight and there after every 2 weeks.

i cooked for Max for 4.5mos before he was able to digest dogfood

i gave rice for awhile then switched to oatmeal
boiled chicken , lean beef or venison is good.
once a week poached fish
for Max, i rinsed all meats in warm h20 to get rid of all grease

next i added 1/4slice of sweet potato in one meal and 1 tspn of canned pumpkin in other meal, gave tad of pineapple,
papaya tablets once a day as they are digestive enzymes, omega 3 once a day broke open and squirted on food, and for a few weeks at 1st he got algae/kelp for detox effects.

and yes we either had to give pepto bismal in beginning which didn't really help much and later on at one time 1 pepcid tablet an hour before meals.

NOW pumpkin will soothe intestinal tract....and if given in small amts
will make poop firmer with diarrhea.

you can ask your vet about yougurt , cottage cheese etc
these for Max if not given in tiny amts will cause room clearing gas bombs hahhahaa

OH another thing, homemade diets are moist THUS your doodle may not drink as much water from their bowl. and at times i added a bit of warm water too like Libby.

Please keep us posted as i really feel for anyone and their dog when this happens. My max did a complete turnaround in health on his diet and my vet was amazed. Dog food hahhahaa he's on it since last April

·
Registered
189 Posts
MaxandMe,

I don't know how you managed - 7 weeks!!!! That must have been awful. 1 week was bad enough. My partner has been away the last week and a half and it has been too much for me - what with the flood in the basement on top of everything. I could have just sat down and cried at one point - just about held it together. Pretty much everytime I had to go out, I'd return to a house absolutely stinking of you know what. It was just terrible. She even left a welcome present on the doormat.. and another just in front of a door - which I opened, smearing it everywhere (I had to take the door off its hinges to clean it properly). I felt so sorry for her - she was clearly miserable and uncomfortable (her tummy was all swollen at first) and for a few days she wasn't up to going out. I can't drive, so had to carry her to the vets the first time (it's about 15 minutes walk from where I live - I got some funny looks but she was so lethargic, I don't think she could have walked it).

Anyway, I'm happy Max is doing so well now - on normal dog food, what a relief.

Libby

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Slippery Elm Bark with pumpkin will work overnight in most cases. It's a good natural cure that soothes the digestive tract in dogs.
Slippery Elm Bark Powder
Slippery Elm Bark (Ulmus Fulva) is a soothing nutritive demulcent suitable for sensitive or inflamed mucous membrane linings in the digestive system. Slippery Elm may be used for treating diarrhea or colon disorders.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts