Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been about 2 years since I posted here- so long and 2 puters ago so I forgot my Nickname and password. Anyway, I am Mom now to 2 labradoodles: Dharma is an F1 and was three last week and Zeke, an F1b, will be a year old on February 5th. They are both Silver Shaded (jet black at birth). Dharma has a beautiful spiral fleece coat with very little shedding, Zeke has a long wavy coat right now, but it's very shiny and soft. Initially I had intended to breed my doodles, but decided not to when my health deteriorated.

In December I became very ill and was hospitalized for 2 weeks, coming home while still on IV therapy. Four days before I was hospitalized, I had Zeke neutered. We crate the doodles during the day when we are not home, and my husband didn't notice that Dharma came into heat. ANd as luck would have it- they mated. (They were tied together four times AFTER I got home.)

My vet says that Dharma could be pregnant since it was just a week or so after Zeke was neutered. I am actually happy that I might have the litter I have always wanted for the two of them because my heath has improved to the point that I would be able to handle the duties. Should we have a littler, I have 5 people who want one of our puppies.

My questions:
They first were tied together on December 14th. And 4-5 times after that. Shouldn't Dharma soon be showing signs of pregnancy? Her normal weight is 45 lbs. and she has gained 5 lbs but her belly still seems the same and I can feel her waist. I don't want to have an Xray done to find out if she is pregnant or not- personal reasons. A friend who has bred large breeds told me that sometimes larger dams do not show signs of pregnancy until the final 2 weeks. Is that true? Is there another way- other than xray or ultrasound- to determine pregnancy?

Second: Dharma's parent were a silver poodle and a chocolate lab; Zeke's parents are a chocolate labradoodle and a white poodle. Should they have pups, what are the color possibilities?

I am so excited by the possibility of her having a litter that I will probably look for a stud if she is not pregnant with Zekey's pups.

Thanks so much for helping me better understand our situtation.

Holly in Pennsylvania
Mom to Dharma and Zekey[/url]

G

·
Since black is the dominant color, you *should* see predominantly black puppies....that said, you really never know what can happen when you first breed two together :D
I am not an expert at all. maybe some breeders could help more...
I think that getting any reds would be impossible, but all the colors you mentioned *could* appear, but it is unlikely...
And the silvering could occur with any of the puppies...
If I am wrong, just jump in and correct me, I don't mind!!

G

·
dgeggis said:
I'm baffled. How can a dog that has been neutered produce any sperm?
How does this happen?
:shock:
Sperm is present in the tube below (downstream of) the surgical site. It can be viable for 4 months post neutering, I believe...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would say you will probably see mostly black puppies, could see some brown and with the silvering in the parents, the black puppies will most likely do the same as the parents, and your chocolates would probably end up being a very light cafe' coloring....I'm guessing here...but those are my thoughts. And noticing pregnancy is very common at the last stages. My girls don't show in the belly until they are between 2 to 3 weeks, ready to deliver.

Trina
www.tiggerdoodle.com

·
Registered
558 Posts
SYMPTOMS OF PREGNANCY WOULD BE VERY THAT SHE WOULD BE HUNGRY ALL THE TIME, NEEDS MORE FOOD THAN THE NORM, ISN'T EVER FULL, POSSIBLE VOMITING OR RETCHING UP BILE FLUID ON THE FLOOR IN LIL PUDDLES, SWOLLEN NIPPLES, ENLARGED NIPPLES, AND IN THE LAST 3 WEEKS, SWOLLEN TUMMY, 63 DAYS FROM FIRST TIME THEY WERE TOGETHER WOULD BE YOUR DUE DATE.

2 WEEKS BEFORE THIS, HAVE HER X RAYED FOR A NUMBER OF PUPS TO EXPECT....

YOU SHOULD HAVE A BLOOD TEST DONE TO CONFIRM THEN GET HER ON A SUPER DIET WITH PROTEIN, MINERALS, EGGS, VITAMINS, NICE REAL MEAT NOT DOG FOOD IN CANS, IF YOU WANT THE HEALTHIEST OF PUPS WITH THE SHINIEST SOFTEST COATS KNOWN TO MAN...

FEED HER FRESH EGGS, SAVE EGG SHELLS , DRY THEM , BLEND THEM ADD TO HER FOOD , 1 TBSP A DAY FOR ADDED CALCIUM, ITS FREE & CHEAP & SO GOOD....THAT IS WHAT WE DO..SOUNDS CRAZY BUT KELSEY LOVES THE FRESH FOOD WE GIVE HER ....
WHEN SHE IS PREGNANT SHE WAS ALWAYS HUNGRY, AND NOW THAT SHE IS NURSING STILL ALWAYS HUNGRY...SHE EATS BETTER THAN ALL OF US...LOL..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts