Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So apparently there was a nest of baby bunnies in our yard. We watched Dexter going crazy pawing and jumping on a bush so my husband investigated...he found the nest. Dex had already done a number on it :shock: so my husband put on gloves and w/o touching them much moved them to a garbage can lid and then behind our fence of our yard...2 of them were dead already :(

I know they probably won't make it now that their mother will have trouble finding them, but they were definitely going to be done with our doodles knowing where they were...I don't think I could handle the doodles bringing me a dead baby bunny - hopefully the mom will find them...poor little bunnies :(

·
Registered
434 Posts
Poor bunnies....We have a cat that insists on bringing his 'gifts' to us IN THE HOUSE through the cat door. Once he brought the remnants of a baby bunny....Only it's back foot! My 9 year old mentioned that he thought those were supposed to be lucky :wink: ...Apperantly not for the bunny :shock:

Leslie

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Oh, poor bunnies...

Reminds me of when I was a kid, my dad accidentally went over a bunny nest with the lawn mower....he was soooo crushed. He felt so awful....

G

·
Poor bunnies! But I bet Dex was sooo proud! I think the Mom will find them and will start a new nest, hopefully outside your yard!
I also just read where the idea that the Mom bird will reject her babies if a human touches them is not true. Probably the same for bunnies. Hopefully they will be fine!

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
You did the right thing moving them. Hopefully, mama will take them back. I can't imagine being brought a dead bunny either.
Last night, I had Bogart in the yard and he kept sniffing in the garden and just wouldn't come when called. I thought of what might be going on and was right. I put him in the house and got a flashlight. It was the tiniest baby bird.....didn't even have feathers. Must've just hatched and fell. Bogie didn't pick it up but was just curious, I guess.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
How upsetting! Hopefully momma rabbit will recover her babies and move them to a safer place.

Good boy Bogie for not hurting the baby bird.

·
Registered
398 Posts
When we first moved into our current home 11 years ago, my cat Blackie started bringing me baby bunnies. He hadn't hurt them yet and I was able to get them away from him.

Now here I am with little bunnies and what to do with them?
So I called the vet. In our town we have a wonderful person, Barbara the bunny lady. She told me what to do and if any bunnies get hurt or are too young she will come over and get them and nurse them to health.

One of the bunnies that was a bit older had lost a patch of hair and she told me that it is a defense mechanism and that the bunny would be fine.

Isn't that wild.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I just posted our bunny dilemma before seeing this!

Charlie has found a nice little next of bunnies in our side yard. I either need to move them or protect them. (I'm not too crazy about having bunnies breeding in my yard but I don't want my doodle eating them either!)

I need a solution by tomorrow morning!

Deb

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Deb,

Yeah my husband moved them...we were afraid of the whole mom not being able to find them thing, but the doodles would have definitely wound up killing them if we did nothing :( Could you try to move them to another area? I really don't know what the best thing is to do...we thought about trying to fence them but then how sould the mom get to them?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I put up a flimsy wire fence today. It's about 18" high and has big gaps so that a mama bunny could easily get through. Charlie could also knock it over but he's not real aggressive about fences so I'm hoping he will just stay out and watch. (We have baby gates in the house that we just lean across the doorway. He doesn't touch them.) I won't leave him out there unsupervised. Maybe it won't be long until the babies are big enough to move out.

It is interesting to see them though. There are at least six all huddled together. :) The "awe" factor is really huge!

Deb

·
Registered
398 Posts
As soon as it's quiet mom will move the babies. Just like cats move their kittens.

They'll probably be gone tonight.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So our babies are gone...I'm hoping the mom came back and moved them because they were there this morning.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
We're down to five bunnies. I found one laying dead near the nest. :(

After doing a little research, I think our bunnies are old enough to live without mom. They are about 6" long now. I'm going to keep Charlie away for a few days and hope they move on.

Deb

1 - 16 of 16 Posts