Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a few wacky things that Dex has started doing pretty routinely.

1) He'll chew on the fringe hair of his ear until it's soaked. He kind of tilts his head until his ear flops into his mouth, and chews. (He's not chewing on the actual skin of his ear, I checked). Is this boredom? He doesn't do it often enough that I'd call it 'obsessive' behavior. It just seems like something he likes to do every now and again. Should my radar be pinging for anything to look out for?

2) He's learned fairly well not to jump on people to say hi...so now instead, he rams between our legs and stops mid-way so he can be petted. He does this to everyone now, it seems to be his greeting. Everyone looks like they're riding a horse backward. It's a riot.

3) When we're outside, and he's just sniffing around, he'll stop and do the "pointer" thing...front leg lifted off the ground. He also does this when he hears something and he stops to listen. Where does that come from in a doodle? And why in general do pointer dogs do that? - what's the instinct?

What are your doodle's quirks??

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
When Sandy yawns he lets his tongue roll (literally) out of his mouth first and he lets it hang there for a second... then he opens his mouth and yawns.

Molly ALWAYS falls asleep with her "baby" in her mouth... by morning its cradled in her paws. She also can open sliding doors... screens or glass.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Oh and Lynn... Sandy does the pointing thing too!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I hear you on the head ram thing. Hershey does it too when we let her out of her crate. We prefer it better than jumping, and we think its cute that she wants some people loving. it only last a second before she turns her attention to Gus for some Dog on Dog fun.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I think he must be related to my Dex. Hubby heard this "schmack, schmack, schmack...." He said "what the sam hill is that?" It was Dexter, smacking on his ear hair. He also gets his beard hair and smacks it too, so I don't think it's an ear thing. I think he needs a hair cut, which hubby is opposed to.

He also does the backward horse ram. I think it's genetic :shock:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
hehe...Kirby will do the head ram too :) He alternates that with a light jump up on us to "hug"...it's much different than an obnoxious jump in that he will lightly put his front paws on us - he only does it to us and only when we have gotten home from a full day of work :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
ellabee said:
There are a few wacky things that Dex has started doing pretty routinely.

1) He'll chew on the fringe hair of his ear until it's soaked. He kind of tilts his head until his ear flops into his mouth, and chews. (He's not chewing on the actual skin of his ear, I checked). Is this boredom? He doesn't do it often enough that I'd call it 'obsessive' behavior. It just seems like something he likes to do every now and again. Should my radar be pinging for anything to look out for?

2) He's learned fairly well not to jump on people to say hi...so now instead, he rams between our legs and stops mid-way so he can be petted. He does this to everyone now, it seems to be his greeting. Everyone looks like they're riding a horse backward. It's a riot.

3) When we're outside, and he's just sniffing around, he'll stop and do the "pointer" thing...front leg lifted off the ground. He also does this when he hears something and he stops to listen. Where does that come from in a doodle? And why in general do pointer dogs do that? - what's the instinct?

What are your doodle's quirks??
Sadie does #2&3 if that makes you feel any better!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Cali points too. Sometimes she does it when she's sitting prissily like a poodle and watching the squirrels. It's a crack up. I call it poodle pointing.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Annabelle also loves to run between legs, stop 1/2 way and get petted, she dances with her back legs while being petted

She also points - both labs and poodles are bird dogs

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max hasn't stopped pointing since he's been 13 weeks old hahhaaa

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nicky just started the pointer thing a few weeks ago. I was really surprised the first time I saw him do it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
No pointing here yet. But this drives me crazy--When the boys are resting, Frankie will work until he gets Tuckers ear flipped back and he licks inside his ear. I keep checking, but hay--He has the cleanest ears in town.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
know what? max and peanut every NIGHT clean out each others ears now for the past month. their ears are clean as a whistle, so to speak
i keep checking but i have yet to clean them out now

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Too funny! Cali doesn't have any other doodle ears to clean around here, but she sure loves trying to clean our ears. Nothing like a cold, wet doodle nose in your ear! :lol:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Guinness gets craaaazy hiccups at least twice a day. It's hilarious to watch.. he doesn't seem to notice them, but they're very loud and very noticeable.

He talks in his sleep allll the time. He does three yelps in a row every few minutes, like he's attempting to bark at something in his dreams.

I should really try to capture him chasing his tail on video. He spins soooo, sooo fast and will try to "pounce" on his tail.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts