Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if all you breeders remove dewclaws, and on what day do you do it. The vet recommended 3 days, and I had them done at the vets today. I watched her do them and they bleed a lot. I have a friend that does her own at 1 day and they hardly bleed.

Just wondering what others experiences were.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Molly,

I have been told that they must be removed BY the 3rd day...and most of the breeders that have given advice to me about it say that they do their own...usually on day one.

I can't do it.

I know that people say that if you have ever had one rip on an adult dog, you would never neglect it again...but I just can't...to me it is like docking tails or pinning ears...

Also, my vet said that dew claws in front are not as serious as dew claws in back...although I think that she was just trying to agree with me.

I have noticed that my dogs DO use the dew claw...to scratch their ears and faces...so as long as nature put them there and there appears to be a purpose for them and that cutting them off HAS to hurt (I know people say it doesn't, but how would people know???) I am not cutting them off!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Dew Claws

Hi Jac:

I asked my breeder should I have the dew claws removed. She has never done it to any of her dogs and has had no problems. Personally I think it would hurt, as my understanding is they don't do much sedating for this if any. I don't want to put any animal through pain when not necessary. Any dog I had in childhood was left un touched so I am wondering what would be a legitimate reason for this?

Blueteal

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Well, many of the breeders do this and the reason that they do is that sometimes when the dogs are running around (at breakneck speeds as they often do) the dew claw can catch onto something and get torn...and it is extremely painful and bleeds a lot.

Still, like you, I have never experienced this...so I tend to agree...nature gave them the dew claw...they do seem to use them...and gosh, their ears or toenail can catch on things too...so, I elect to keep them on.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Well I am a breeder that definately removes the dewclaws :) I personally hate the things and my vet swears they do not feel it if done before 5 days of age. I usually do mine at 2-3 days of age and there is very little bleeding if any. I have had lots of families ask if I remove the dewclaws, hunters especially want them removed because their pup will be in the brush a lot where the dewclaws will be ripped and torn.

It took me a long time to feel comfortable doing the dewclaws myself but my vet was very good in helping me with them until I felt comfortable, now it's a piece of cake :wink:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I chose to remove dew claws and both my vets suggested between 3-5 days. Neither would do it after 5 days. I have a 100 pound boxy headed lab that has his dew claws and he is CONSTANTLY scratching me when we play. I absolutely hate his dew claws, but have never had a reason to want them removed except my own pain until last week. He must have snagged his dew claw playing but he was in so much pain. It is slowly healing, but I am looking into having them removed. The problem with having them removed when they're older is they tend to lick the wound a lot and it doesnt heal quickly. I guess if he hadnt snagged his dew claw I am not sure how I would feel, but seeing my big handsome lab howl whenever he accidentally touches his claw seems worse than a little yelp at 3 days.

As you have asked for others opinions I am sharing mine pro removal!
I watched my vet remove all 11 pups and it seemed fine. Only a few yelped and a little kwik stopped alleviated all bleeding and they never even seemed to notice afterwards what had happened.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Dewclaw Opinions

Thanks all for your opinion's. Denver did not have his removed and he is almost nine weeks old now so I guess we will live with it.
His breeder does not remove them and I am not experienced enough to have asked.

Blueteal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts