Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the vet today and found out that Summer has demodectic mange. The vet prescribed .6 ml of Ivomec (Ivermectin) to be given orally once a day. Has anyone else's dog had demodectic mange? I have a question for you breeders too- should I tell the breeder? My vet said that there may be a genetic component since pups get it from their parents (immmune related-- T cells). Her case is localized-- in one ear. Do any of you have experience with this? Thanks!

Bridget and Summer

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Bridget, I'm so sorry that Summer has this. I would definately notify the breeder. I have never had this but have seen it. I use to work for my vet and I remember her saying it is genetic.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Bridgit, I have never heard of this specifically...I have heard of mange, of course, but not studied it much.
I am very sorry and I hope that the vet can treat little Summer and that she gets feeling better soon.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Wow, I would notify the breeder for sure!! How did you know something was wrong?? Phantom had a little hair loss and I worried about it, had him to the vet, and found out it was nothing. Just rough playing with the other dogs, and dry fur. He is already on salmon based food, so now he is also on an oil supplement.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't really worry about it at first. She had a little spot of red dots on the inside of her ear, then she kept scratching and that little spot of hair fell out. Then, the entire underside of her ear had little red bumps, and there was another spot where the hair fell out. There were yellow crusts and she had made a couple spots bleed from scratching. The vet did a skin scraping, and sure enough, mites! Nasty looking little suckers. Thank goodness its not contagious to people because Summer and I have been sharing my (our) pillow for the last few weeks!!!

Bridget and Summer

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hmm your description makes me wonder a little.
Are the red spots you talk about very pimply looking?
Boone had the same thing, and scratched the hair off....it was just a simple ear infection, that was cleared up with drops. Maybe a second opinion?

·
Registered
972 Posts
I never saw any spots or any crusty skin on Phantom, but I took him in anyway a month ago. But, like I said at that time, I was just a worried mom. I also found that he had rubbed fur off by his mouth from chewing on cow hooves. I stopped giving him them, and all the hair is back. Had to be that.. LOL

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL... If I stopped giving Summer her cow hooves, I think she would pack her bags and leave! We buy them in bulk!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tina and Boone-
I'm sure they're mites- I watched the vet make the slide and I looked through the microscope myself. Can't mistake those critters! Yuck! Thanks for your help though,

Bridget and Summer

·
Registered
972 Posts
No, you are right, you cannot mistake those critters. I was watching animal planet the other night and there was a pit bull with mange on there, and they showed the slide. it was just so nasty.. I hope Summer heals quickly, and yes, thank goodness you can't get them.. LOL Phantom sleeps with us too, and boy would that have been horrible..

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yikes...you saw them yourself? ok, that throws my theory out. Although I wish I was right.
Mites are no fun! My little shih tzu Emily had them...what a pain!
Filling her little ear canal with drops twice a day for two weeks, massage and kleenex them out. It was a process and a half! Thank god she was only 3 or 4 pounds at that age.
The stuff that comes out is pretty nasty, so be prepared for it. It will be dark brown and sometimes like a film, sometimes a chunk or two.
You'll also notice when she shakes after her ear cleaning that the "gunk" might fly around a bit, so be sure to bleach areas that it could end up to stop re-infection.
Good-luck, she's in good hands I'm sure :p

·
Registered
1,810 Posts

Hey everybody, our next-door neighbor has had an awful battle with demodectic mange and I just saw a really good 1-page article about it. It DOES appear to have a genetic component because the immune systems of most dogs fight off the mites or their ability to bother the skin. but there is apparently another component since not all puppies in the litter will contract it.

So the short answer is YES! Tell the breeder!

And best wishes....I'll see what I can do about locating that article. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts