Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
It's been such a long time since I posted. An awful lot has happened over the past few months, from deciding to move out of state and finding a new house, an unexpected pregnancy :wink:, my husband getting permanently laid off from his job hense all moving plans had to be stopped

Anyway tonight as my hubby was walking Dekker he passed a used car lot, the gates were up and the business was open, he saw a dog in a kennel which he presumed was tied up. Apparently the dog came flying out of the lot and locked on to Dekker's back end. Apparently after 30 LONG seconds of the pit bull latching on to his hind leg and Dekker being pinned on his back, Rich kicking this dog and doing his best to get the dog of Dekker, the business owner came out and shouted the dog's name and pulled him off.

They were both in shock when they came home, I rushed Dekker to the emergency vets where they shaved his back leg and treated his lacerations which are on the inside of his thigh and on his willy :oops:
The bill was $400. I'm so glad Rich was walking Dekker and not me when it happened because I know I would have lost my mind...Anyhow I'm waiting for the police to arrive as I'm filing a complaint, this dog could kill a smaller dog and the owner needs a good telling off. I'm going round ther tomorrow and presenting him with the bill, It will be interesting to see what his reaction will be..
Sorry this is such a long post, thanks for listening,

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Poor Decker :(

I know he's getting tons of extra tlc and love tonight!

Keep us informed as to what the police say and/or do ... there are parts of our area where it is illegal to own a pit bull ... and anyone with one suffers some serious setbacks to their wallet.

Ebbe sends her love and licks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Mary and Ebbe.
Since we got back from the emergency vets Dekkers' just curled up in his crate he's very very upset. My husband who does not generally overreact said it was really vicious attack.

·
Registered
146 Posts
That is horrible! I hope Dekker feels better soon and isn't traumatized by this attack. Let us know what the police have to say and what happens when the owner gets your bill.

Big hugs from Henry to Dekker and lots of healing thoughts from us.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
OMG! My worst nightmare!! How horrible!
Poor Dekker!!! I'm glad your hubby was there too and not you. I probably would have fainted.
ABSOLUTELY take that bill to the owner of that crazy dog! I'm sorry........I've seen so nice pit bulls, but for the most part.......I DO NOT trust them at alll!
Let us know what happens and what the police said..........this is AWFUL!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I am literally sitting here in shock going WOW another close call with a pitbull, but i am so relieved it was your hubby walkind dekker and i am curious how Dekker will be afterwards.

please keep us updated, such a shame this happened but please file a police report.

how long before Dekker will be better?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I am SO sorry this happened to Dekker - I hope he will be up and feeling better soon - that is absolutely terrifying!!! I would most definitely make that car dealer pay the vet bill - and frankly, that would be letting him off easy! What a stupid and irresponsible owner!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dekker seems much better this morning, it took a few minutes for him to come out of his crate, but once out, he went about his business in the yard. I've put cream on his wounds and has a chance to see them up close. Needless to say they look awful. His inner thigh has about six/seven puncture wounds some of them the size of a nickel, and his poor willy looks sore too. The whole area is completely swollen. He doesn't mind showing me the damage or letting me put cream on him.
I am however really concerned on how this will effect him mentally, obviously an aggressive of super submissive dog is not a good thing.
The cops didn't show up last night which I'm not surprised it was a Saturday night in NY after all! I will follow up today and go to the precinct and file a report. As for the owner I swear I feel like going round there with a baseball bat and beating the spit right out of him....But must keep calm.. pregnant lady here. I am going to go there and present him with the bill and give him a piece of my mind. I don't for one minute think he's going to shell out $400 right there on the spot though...Maybe small claims court. Anyway steps have to be taken to keep the pit tied up.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Oh, no! This is just horrible. I think you are right that he will heal but any attack is bound to leave marks psychologically. Did you take pictures? If not, do so now.

Good luck with the police and getting compensation from this guy.

Deb

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
This just make me so angry at this irresponsible dog owner. Poor Dekker. Isn't it amazing that you end up with an injured dog, a horrible scare, big vet bill and you still have to put out more energy to make this owner do the responsible thing.

I hope Dekker's wounds heal quickly.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
First off, congrats on your pregnancy :)

OMG poor Dekker!!! Pit bulls seriously scare me. We have very few serious incidences at our dog park, but the large majority of them do involve pit bulls. I definitely do not think all are bad, but it just seems that many irresponsible dog owners have such dogs and do not train them properly! I wonder if he will be afraid to go on a walk...have you tried? I can only imagine you will avoid the area you went to. I hope poor Dekker is better soon!!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
What a terrifying experience! I hope Dekker heals quickly, physically and mentally. Best of luck with the police report and hope you get some compensation for your vet bills. Definitely get pictures. Cali sends her doodle love.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hmmm... If that incident happened here in Albuquerque, that pit bull would already have been "dispatched" by the police. Are the laws so much different in other cities?

Hoping Dekker is not permanently psychologically traumatized by this attack. I think you have grounds for a huge lawsuit.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Poor Dekker! Sam and i will be thinkign of him. To me, that is one of the scariest things. I was bit in the face by a terrier at the age of 7 (14 stitches.. ick!) and that terrified me. I hope Dekker isn't too affected mentally... I really hope he feels better soon!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
oo poor dekker-hope he getes better soon so he can go down there and bite that business owners bum- see how he likes it :lol:
i would be raving mad if that was me-good thing that business owner came out-pit bulls are immune to pain and your husbands kicking would have made no difference :shock:
get that $400 out of him and more!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Yikes that is a nightmare.
Definately take pictures in case you do need to go to court
I am so sorry this happened and I wish I could go with you to
beat the spit out of him.........
Give Dekker an extra hug for us..............

1 - 20 of 35 Posts