Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on a labradoodle website and saw a quote that said, "They should really not be considered a Labradoodle until they have been cross bred 6 times". Does anyone have any comment on that? I have a terrific F1 and I consider him a Labradoodle. O.K., he is not an austrailian "manor" doodle...is that what they mean? Sounds so snobby. Leslie

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a F1, I liked to look of F1's more than the others. I used to be prepared to give people a speech when they asked me what kind of dog I had and I told them labradoodle and they rolled their eyes. Now I could care less. Look, I researched what breed was great with families, I researched and found a great breeder and I have a great dog! I've done all the homework and training and am rewarded with a well mannered, super happy dog. I call him a labradoodle but at the end of the day, he's just our buddy! :D

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's kinda the way I see it. We decided on a Labradoodle and it was about 9 months before we actually got one. We were picky and wanted to make sure we got a good family dog from a reputable breeder. I also love the F1 look. Kinda scraggly, leggy and super smart. And, you can pay just as much for an F1 as a multi-gen so I don't understand that statement. Leslie

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Good morning Leslie and Donna.
Unfortunately, what you are talking about is the sad state of affairs between some Australian Labradoodle breeders and US breeders. What has evolved is an actual split of Labradoodle "types".
It is complicated and, in my opinion, motivated by pride and greed (on both sides sometimes)...still the disagreement will not alter the way Labradoodles are being bred and accepted in the US.
Anyone who has owned an F1 will tell you that the F1 cross produces a most lovely dog...and that they are the healthiest of the cross due to the basic mix of Lab/Poodle. But they do have issues with their coat quality.
Still, The Australian Labradoodle people claim that it can never be a Labradoodle unless the dog was bred from original Labradoodle stock.
Recently, the doodle world discovered that Aussie LDs were a mix of many more breeds (at least 6, total) than Lab/Poodle and the news became the basis of great controversy...which is still brewing.
IALA has decided to establish an accepted standard for both. The Australian Labradoodle can only be from original stock, traced back to Australia...and the U S Labradoodle bred entirely by mixing Lab/Poodle bloodlines. (But you will find a mix of both too!)
It gets very complicated and causes a lot of arguing and hurt feelings and destroyed reputations...but the bottom line is that these two factions will probably never come together...there are too many breeders with too much to lose...
So, what you are talking about is the tragic snobbery resulting from this battle...so not only do we have to fight the AKC and "pure" breed snobs, now we have to do a lot of in-fighting too. Tragic.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I know what you mean, Jacque--I've also heard certain breeders say the nothing beyond an F1 can be considered a Labradoodle because it is 3/4 poodle! Well no matter what anyone says, our Dakota is a beautiful F1 Labradoodle :wink: with the less desirable wire coat. But that being said, he swims daily and has never had a mat on him! His scruffy coat actually adds to his cuteness!
Diane (and Dakota)

·
Registered
853 Posts
That's very interesting. There doesn't seem to be any controversy over the "English Labs" and the "American Labs". That seems to be accepted. I wonder if in days long ago there was all this kind of controversy over developing breeds? I love the look of the F1's but had to get an F1B for allergy reasons. I'm amazed at all the people who tell me they prefer the curlier coat when I actually like the straighter coat myself.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am a major F1 fan...I love the scruffies and they just need a good brushing a couple of times a week to keep the mats away. We take the doods to our small town every Saturday for a walk up and down the main street. We have a LOT of tourists here this time of year from all over the country. Every time we take them we get asked about 30 times what kind of dogs they are. Lot's of times I get the eye rolling "designer dog" comment. But usually the doods just win the curmudgeons over with their charm. However, I'm getting really tired of the constant explaining...."it's a cross between a poodle and a lab...etc. etc." We're thinking of making up something ridiculous, like they're a cross between an Iish Wolfhound and a Chihuahua! Or just wearing a t-shirt that says, "It's an F1!"

I don't care what they're called and I think the Aussie vs. US controversy is just stupid. They're great dogs. How about calling an F1b a labradoodleoodle!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hey, Mark (the forum creator) sells t-shirts that say "Life begins at F1"

Yep, I get the "look" sometimes and before people can say what is on their mind...I jump in and say, "We donate dogs to guide dog programs for people with allergies." That stops them in their tracks...how can they say THAT is a bad thing? Then I get a chance to tell them how smart the dogs are and how well they do in the guide programs! :D

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And what would happen if you bred a Cocker Spaniel with A multi gen? Would you then have a Cocka-doodle-doo?
Sorry, Leslie

1 - 14 of 14 Posts