Labradoodle Forums banner

Defensive doodle?

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Jamie 
#1 ·
My Digby is 13 months old. we have had him since he was about 9 1/2 mths. old. He has never really shown any aggressive behavior but in the last couple of weeks he has become very territorial and growls and then barks (LOUD).

Being a labradoodle and new guy on the block, we went to pick my son up at school, a lady came by and wanted to see him, she asked if he gave kisses (which he does, to our family) and he was in my car looking between the seat and the side of the drivers side door. She put he face down and he licked and nipped. He left a little mark on her nose, no big deal she said. Needless to say I was devastated that he did this. :shock: I couldn't believe his did this. Today I had a friend come over and she was petting him and I had a hold of him and he barked and backed away. I got some treats and still had a hold of him and she gave them to him, he was fine after that. If he protecting us or is he afraid? :?

I am thinking this dog has some other issues that we haven't quite figured out. :? He is a rescue dog, any suggestions on how to curb the behavior etc. would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

Discussion starter · #6 ·
I talked with the person we got the dog from (was a private owner) and they said the doddle was fine. I think he is just settling in and trying to "protect us" he has gotten reprimanded for the behavior, I tell him NO and he seems to settle right down. We also have another dog, and they seem to pickup on each others habits, the doddle didn't use to beg, now he does since he saw our schnauzer do it, the schnauzer is old and has some health issues and is not feeling his best and is quite grumpy so we figured the doodle was picking up on that.

We had a dalmation that had issues, the dal was just plumb mean!! We have tried some things that I found from looking through some information I got when we did obedience with the dal, and it seems to have worked so far. Keep our fingers crossed!

Thanks for letting me ramble!! :lol:

Discussion starter · #8 ·
He had a different name it was Coconut, he is white with a little yellow in his coat. The name really didn't suit him and he didn't come when you called him that so we changed it, and he is definately a Digby!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.