Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Digby is 13 months old. we have had him since he was about 9 1/2 mths. old. He has never really shown any aggressive behavior but in the last couple of weeks he has become very territorial and growls and then barks (LOUD).

Being a labradoodle and new guy on the block, we went to pick my son up at school, a lady came by and wanted to see him, she asked if he gave kisses (which he does, to our family) and he was in my car looking between the seat and the side of the drivers side door. She put he face down and he licked and nipped. He left a little mark on her nose, no big deal she said. Needless to say I was devastated that he did this. :shock: I couldn't believe his did this. Today I had a friend come over and she was petting him and I had a hold of him and he barked and backed away. I got some treats and still had a hold of him and she gave them to him, he was fine after that. If he protecting us or is he afraid? :?

I am thinking this dog has some other issues that we haven't quite figured out. :? He is a rescue dog, any suggestions on how to curb the behavior etc. would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
177 Posts
sounds like your dogs wary of people, perhaps being a rescue dog there is a story behind it. Have you asked the rescue centre about why Digby came to them origionaly? maybe they can help, they would certainly be able to advise you in any case.

Bella's 8 months and have never shown any aggresion but as she gets older she is becoming more protective. She was in hospital recently and it has left her quite jumpy so we figure maybe another dog went for her in there.

I'd hope that with love and patience Digby can become more trusting, maybe someone with more experiance can jump in and offer advice,

If he's been ok until recently like you mention then maybe he got spooked whilst out walking?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sounds like a fear biter, poor guy. There are many articles and books on this topic and how to discourage the behavior. How to be your dog's best friend by the Monks of New Skete covers the fear biting/behavior topic.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi. Tune into the website http://www.leerburg.com/

They have lots of training information and dog aggression. I will tell you that we once had a dog that was a fear biter. He ended up biting a guest to our home in the stomach. It was horrible. Maybe a trainer can give you some suggestions. I ended up having to keep the dog from a situation that would make him feel fearful. The dog was wonderful inside the our house with our family but the neighbors were all scared of him.

Hope you get some useful information

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I talked with the person we got the dog from (was a private owner) and they said the doddle was fine. I think he is just settling in and trying to "protect us" he has gotten reprimanded for the behavior, I tell him NO and he seems to settle right down. We also have another dog, and they seem to pickup on each others habits, the doddle didn't use to beg, now he does since he saw our schnauzer do it, the schnauzer is old and has some health issues and is not feeling his best and is quite grumpy so we figured the doodle was picking up on that.

We had a dalmation that had issues, the dal was just plumb mean!! We have tried some things that I found from looking through some information I got when we did obedience with the dal, and it seems to have worked so far. Keep our fingers crossed!

Thanks for letting me ramble!! :lol:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He had a different name it was Coconut, he is white with a little yellow in his coat. The name really didn't suit him and he didn't come when you called him that so we changed it, and he is definately a Digby!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Glad to hear it's more a case of Digby settling in than an abusive past making him that way.

Although he never came when you called his old name he may be a tad confused with a new name and new home, sometimes they just need time to adjust. Maybe he's also trying to figure out where in line he is compared to everyone else in the house. As he settles when being told no, it does suggest just time, patience and regular training with him

Great name though :lol:

Good luck I hope little man settles down soon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts