Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will have a new doodle puppy arriving in about four weeks! Now we have to decide on which one. Here are the two we narrowed it down to:

The black is four days older but is smaller. Both litters have great parents that passed all the health issues with flying colors. Does anyone have any pros or cons on either color? Its so hard to decide! And no I cannot get both :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
What a tough decision. Both are extremely cute. I went with the doodle that responded to my son and followed him around the most when we picked him out. Both colors are great. We originally wanted a cream color, but ended up with Frankie who is black, because my son fell in love with him. The best thing about the black is, it does not show dirt, and these dogs love to play outside alot. Good luck in you decision, and both are adorable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are only four weeks old now and not really responding much to anything but Mom! lol We can't get back to see them before the breeder needs to know which one we want. Leaning toward the cream colored one right at the moment but that will change quickly!

G

·
Cream baby looks like he will he very big. (maybe the camera angle?). If you want big, this might be your choice.
Black always looks clean, as everyone else has stated.
Often the beard will turn a brownish color and this is less noticeable on black, too.
The most popular color is cream or apricot and the least popular is black. No one seems to know why and on this forum we have a great many fans of black (myself included!).
Someone said if you want a curly coat, check their ears or ask the breeder which one will be curlier. Ears with more waves will be a curlier coat.
You could always tell the breeder what you are looking for in temperament and coat and let them give you a suggestion between the two. Some people want mellow, some people want very active. The breeder is with them so much, they know personalities.
Good Luck and let us know what you decide!!!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
woah what a chunky monkey the cream is!
they both look like F1's is that correct? I see no real difference (from the pictures) on coat and both their heads seem blocky enough.

I like black and I like little so that would be my choice probably, but there is something endearing about chunky monkey :)

which one was softer? I would probably go with that one.

I also agree with gracielou... wait a week and get pictures of both. they can change between now and then a bunch!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes they are both F1's. We will get pictures of both in a week before we make the final decision. They all were so sweet! We do like the father of the black very much and he seemed much calmer and sweeter when we met him. I will let you all know when we decide and post a new picture of our new puppy :) Thanks for all the advice!

Jon

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I have to chime in here... :p

I love both colors, I think that cream is more popular simply because when people are selecting, you can see cream features better.

More important than color is temperament, health and intelligence. You want a mellow dog (because you have children) and probably a smaller one, again, due to children. Why? Because these dogs love to romp and play and they grow quickly. If you are not able to train your puppy (and your children) right away that chasing the children games are not good or that the children are not siblings...larger dogs can become pretty hard for kids to understand...They think the dog is scary if it is big, knocking them down, nipping at them... (They are not mean...just very playful...it's all in the training!)

Still, I'd go for temperament much more than color. AND either way you win...these two are stunning! Looks like both coats will be thick and lush...may be shedders if they are F1s, but not always...just a good possibility.

Enjoy!

Now, back to the books! (Hi everyone...thanks for remembering me in your other posts! I'm still here...obviously.)

G

·
Hahahahaha Diane! Great shot!!!! Really highlights that dirty beard I mentioned! :lol:
As Jac said, temperament is most important. If you like Black puppy's Daddy, I would go with Black Puppy! :lol:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Which one is the little cutie holding the Doodle opting for?

We have 2 cream doodles and one of the great things about our guys is they are both "wash and wear". When they get dirty, brushing them out usually does the trick...unless we're talking a good roll is something vile...color won't matter then.
Either way you can't go wrong!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
OK i leaned toward cream but have a BLACK doodle ,he too was smaller than the rest of the litter.

He's 5mos old now, 50lb, 23 in high and with Black I must say it doesn't show the dirt like a cream (though i'll always be partial to cream).

MOST IMPORTANT: I picked Max due to temperment and how he reacted to us. So black it was , and he ain't so small now hahhahhaaa

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Muareen, is it really possible to really tell temperment at 6weeks? I am going back to my breeder to see her goldendoodles soon.

And we got Max (labradoodle) when he was 13wks old so it was quite easy to tell.

I go for temperment and fitting in with the family as most important.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Me again...can't stay away!
I think that the temperament knowledge comes more from knowing the parents than actual testing at 6 weeks...but they do have distinct personalities.
I can always tell, just from the parents of the litter, how my pups will be. When I change parents, I will have to wait on a litter to see...but still, if I select parents with the traits I want, chances are, the pups will be similar. Keep in mind, environmental factors weigh in very heavily too...socialization, attention, experiences, etc.)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hi, maybe I should clarify. I don't mean that we "test" puppies at 6wks, but that we have a sense of their personality AT THAT TIME -- as opposed to 4wks, when they are, as "Rupey" said, really into their moms, more than interacting with each other.

So I was talking about getting a sense of who the puppies are at 6 wks. Even at 5 wks they are more social than at 4 wks.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I think Health and Temperament are the most important things a person should look for in a puppy. Of course the parents are important but so is the puppy, you can tell a lot at 6 weeks and more at 8 weeks and so on. We all like to think we can tell but every now and then one can surprise us, but not that often if we are spending time with them like we should.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Jac, I hope your studies are going well. Good to see you can still jump in when we need you :)

Jon, it's good to see that you aren't choosing your puppy based on color alone. So many people choose a puppy because of the color or because one is curlier than the other, etc. At this young age, the puppies are changing from week to week in more ways than one. The main thing is that the breeder has chosen these litters based on the health and temperaments of the parents. This being the case, you will be happy with either puppy. I opt for telling the breeder what it is you are looking for in a puppy and let her choose between the 2 for you. I can't wait to see pictures of the lucky pup that will add so much to your family.

Diane, great pics of Dakota. A dirty doodle is a happy doodle :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have to say you guys here are the best! Being a new member to the board I didn't really expect to much help but wow! I really appreciate all the people trying to help "the new guy"! I can't really make a bad decision here because both pups are awesome, but I do have to make a decision. It won't be an easy one and I really wish I could get both of them. I just wanted to say a very big thank you to everyone and I will let you know as soon as I know!

Jon

1 - 20 of 75 Posts