Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to litter train their dogs? With all the dogs around, I think they're confusing Napa when I take him out to go to the bathroom. Plus, he's not fully vaccinated.

We also went for our first Vet visit. Of course, she said he was underweight. But I'm not TOO concerned right now, because of what everyone's said about vet visits. However, during her exam she went to go inspect his testicles. Well, Napa was EN-ed. She looked at me and said, how old is he. I said 3 months, but he was already neutered. She went GOOD, because I was going to say, he's got no testicles! But other than that everything is good.

He does have a really bad case of separation anxiety, right now. He was nothing other than to lay at our feet. He won't even stay in the x-pen we bought without whinning. But I'm going to try again today so I can get some work done.

If anyone can help with the litter training, and if it was successful, I would be so happy! Not that I'm lazy and don't want to take him out, I'm just concerned that he's protesting going outside because he's slightly fearful of other dogs right now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
260 Posts
i would definitely not recommend teaching your pup that it is ok to pee in the house, even under special circumstances. puppies aren't too good at figuring out when the special circumstances apply, and you'll likely end up having a more difficult time with housebreaking. it's really important that rules for puppies be simple and consistently applied in order for them to learn how you want them to behave, as quickly as possible.

don't worry -- you're not torturing him or anything! just be patient and i'm sure he'll adjust to his new surroundings in no time. you can even help speed this up by not "rewarding" him with cuddles and affection when he seems scared. it is a natural tendency for us humans to want to comfort a scared puppy the same way we would a human baby, but it is better to just be calm and matter of fact about things. after all, by comforting a nervous pup, you're essentially teaching him that if he acts nervous, he gets positive attention! instead, focus on doing the cuddling and praising after he does a behavior you really want to reinforce, like peeing outside.

-em

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Kristen,

The day after we got Ebbe (at 8 weeks) my Marc went to Petsmart and was lucky enough to be waited on by an employee who is also the dog trainer. She has since become our 'go to' girl whenever we see her there. Her advice at that time really helped in training ... tiny puppy treats ... and we just kept taking her outside and saying "Potty Outside"! A successful trip warrented a treat!

Also ... one of your best investments right now is Nature's Miracle. Especially with your new place. This product is excellent for eliminating those pet odors in carpeting, on furniture, clothes, toys .... yes, Ebbe 'christened' them all!

Your little girl is darling, but is going to present you with challenges you never thought you'd have. Don't worry ... we're here for you!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Chloe was semi-litter trained when I got her. I know that it is hard to housebreak when you live in an apartment due to the worries about not being fully vaccinated. Luckily, I have a little patio area that I let Chloe go out on. Even though she is fully vaccinated now, she still sits by the sliding door going out to the patio. Good luck with your little cutie!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I cant even imagine wanting to litter train a dog thats more than 5 pounds! I wouldnt worry about your puppy learning to go outside, it just takes time for him to acclimate. Positive reinforcement will work well. I love Emilees advice about not coddling the puppy. You will be happy in the long run trust me. A lot of puppies cry in the pen, you cant let it out when its crying. It teaches them to cry. Hang in there, leave the house if you have too, but your pup will adjust in time. It may take several days. Right now your pup is trying to train you, but you need to train your pup!

Also depending on how much or little people contact your puppy had may determine how much time you will need to spend (was it bred in home or outin a kennel). In otherwords talk to your breeder about if and how she potty trained. Perhaps she had already started it and can tell you what she was doing. Also talk to her about crate training. See if she had begun crate training and if so get the details of what she had done. Hopefully she began those items for you and it will just be a matter of following through, if not don't get discouraged these little guys really do just want to please you and when they know what you want them to do it makes it easier for them to do it!

The Dog Whisperer is a great place to learn how dogs think and is wonderful insight in every situation. Other than that, know he is just a puppy and puppies are little things that you mold into great dogs!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never thought of the patio!!! Would it be better to litter train out on the patio? We're on the second floor, so there isn't grass, or anything out there for him to go on. That might help him give us a clue and we can give him a way to tell us he needs to go.

We did have a very successful trip out this last time!!!! I got SOOO excited!!! But the patio thing sounds good.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I don't have any grass around my patio either but I started her by putting a puppy pad out there that she went on. Of course yes, there is clean up but it is much better that trying to clean carpet. She still has a few accidents but most are because I am not paying enough attention.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I might try that. Petsmart is right across the street, literally. So perhaps I'll run over there and really confuse the poor pup and put the puppy pads out on the patio. The DBF thought it was a good idea. And then we can try to move him out onto grass when he gets older, and is able to walk up and down the stairs.

·
Registered
183 Posts
We used training pads with Betty--my dachsund mix rescue dog from Puerto Rico. We got her in January during a very cold time, plus as I mentioned in another thread she was very sick with erlichiosis--so the cold was just very hard on her. So we used the training pads. We gradually worked on teaching her to go out side by putting a peed-on pad outside. We only used the inside pad for a few weeks, and she is now completely housebroken without ever using the pads. I agree with others that litter training in impractical--just imagine how big it would need to be when Napa is full grown! House breaking takes a lot of patience and at first can get stressful as you will be getting up at night aand spending a lot of time without getting the result you want. A lot of people find it helpful to have a word or phrase--such as time to potty--i said time to do your business--when encouraging their dog to eliminate. They will catch on and figure out what you want them to do.

As far as the separation anxiety, I think this is something everyone deals with. If you watch Cesar, the Dog Whisperer, he recommends that you not give comfort to a dog when it is acting scared or timid. He is on the National Geographic Channel on Sundays here. This is counter intuitive, but he is right. If you do that, the dog understands that as behavior that is rewarded. If you have more worries that his anxiety isn't clearing up, just post, and you will get lots of great advice.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea, I worked on it today. I gave him treats when he was sitting and calm-ish. I'm not sure if he was COMPLETELY relaxed, but he wasn't jumping at the side of the x-pen, or whining. I think it helped. So we'll see when I have to leave. I think I'm going to try the puppy pads on the patio until he's much older. Because most likely by that point we're going to be moving again. We'll be moving back to Anthony's dad's house for the summer, most likely, unless we spend wisely this year and can save up enough money to stay in our apartment complex. Such is the life of a college student!

·
Registered
260 Posts
i think you've been given a lot of great advice -- i just wanted to post a couple of other thoughts i had.

the first is that it is important to socialize a young puppy to all the different kinds of experiences you expect him to encounter as an adult dog. my fear is that if your pup only learns to eliminate on the patio, that will become his "spot" and he might potentially have issues with doing it in other kinds of places. for example, if your patio has a roof, what about out in the rain? or what happens if you need to take him out at a gas station and you don't have the puppy pads with you?

secondly, we live in a second floor condo, with no yard. when kumo was a baby, we carried him up and down the stairs until he was willing to do it by himself. we got him at 10 weeks, and it probably took about a month before he would go down the stairs, and another several weeks before he would walk back up the stairs too. i know there's a lot of advice out there that says don't let your puppy do stairs, but i guess we decided it was more important that kumo learn to navigate his environment independently than to protect him against the risk of hip problems. my hope is that his going up and down the stairs 3-4 times a day, at a reasonable pace, won't cause future problems -- he seems fine so far. plus, he grew so fast, it wasn't too long before carrying him wouldn't have been feasable anyway!

it is kindof a pain in the butt sometimes being on the 2nd floor and not having a yard, *especially* when housetraining a puppy, or in the middle of a michigan winter when you have to get all bundled up to set foot outside. you do what you have to do, i guess :). my fiance and i actually look forward to walk time now, rain or shine! we take short-ish morning and afternoon walks, and in the evening either take a ~2 mile walk or do another short-ish walk and go to the dog park. it's nice bonding time with kumo, and with each other.

-em

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Em, very good points....

turtleaut, do you have any problems with these? It's not my intent to protect him from the other dogs for long, but he's really afraid of them currently. We tried an introduction last night, and he was crying, but finally growled as the other dogs walked away. We've had more success today, but I've been more focused and was on top of him today. But I messed up and didn't realize that both me and Anthony were leaving and I fed him.... so I'm expecting to go home to a messy crate! Live and learn!

·
Registered
333 Posts
No, I don't have any problems. Chloe goes when I take her on a leash and at night if we are just sitting around and she has to go, she will sit by my sliding patio door. She is so outgoing though, she takes every situation in stride. I have never met such a happy puppy!!! The only problem I have with her is that she will chew on anything expensive and leave all of her toys alone :lol:

·
Registered
980 Posts
My ex-husband kept our pomeranian whom I had successfully outside trained. My ex wouldn't take him out regularly, so he basically litter trained himself. But his aim wasn't good and he wouldn't actually sit on the box, so he usually ended up going "near" it. Let me tell you, that little bitty guy could make a lot of potty. I wouldn't want to face a litter box that my big guy dexter had soiled. I'd vote for no on the litter training.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Victory at last!!! I found out that the DBF and I were taking Napa to TWO different places.... he just doesn't listen to me. BUT since he was getting better results than I was, I changed my place and I haven't told him yet. Napa has had NO accidents YET in the house today!!!! We've figured out his "sign".... rather Anthony did, because today was my day of classes- I've only got classes on Tues and Thurs. So, hopefully things are on the up and up.... and the patio thing did NOT go over well. I would bring him out and bring him out last night, and he decided that the living room carpeting and the tile in the bathroom were better places to pee!

I'm so happy that he's going outside!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
HAHA Ok, well I'm really confused now.... That was a picture I had of Napa. But they were so similar, its hard to tell which is which. I look at it and say, that's Napa. But I also have been looking at it for a while and now know of it as "Napa." Not knowing what Goose looks like and how the two look side by side, I couldn't be certain that it is Napa. I've already had this confusing once.... So, its understandable that it would happen again!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, checked my e-mail.... here's another picture....

See the crooked tail? Unless they both have a crooked tail, that's a picture of Napa.....

*edit* I've never had so much trouble posting a picture before!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts