Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this emailed to me this morning from my brother. I make no claims to its validity, but it is always better to error on the side of caution.

Fox news ran a story today where they examined a range of dog toys made
in China, and you guessed it... found highly toxic amounts of lead!

The vet they interviewed is Sheldon Rubin of the Illinois State
Veterinary Medical Assoc. He conducted a random test of a variety of
toys, and his conclusion for the time being was that people should throw
out any pet toy made in China with paint on it, such as the tennis balls
with the black pawprints stamped on them, (found at PetCo and PetsMart)
- which tested to have 30,000 parts per billion of lead, going straight
into the dog's mouth.

Other items listed were things like the plastic squeaker balls made to
look like soccer or footballs, where they have the black paint
squares/stripes stamped on them. He warned about certain ceramic food
dishes,too.

I'm sure there will be more on this coming in the news as people start
to look at our pet's toys with the same scrutiny as children's toys."
It is just like warning for humans. Eventually there is nothing out there we can do, eat or touch. So take it wioth a grain of salt, but thought I wopuld at least post it.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Thanks Greg, ya just never know with all these warnings,
I guess we must all learn to take them all with a grain of salt .

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Greg, you are absolutely right. They have found the "date rape" drug in some of the toys for children too!
I won't buy anything that could be ingested if it comes from China. In fact, I insisted that our local pet store have a "Made in the USA" section.
I almost lost a puppy to the dry food, even though they said it was not in dry at that time...later, they recalled the Eukunuba brand I had been feeding, "as a precaution"...
Every molded toy (plastics) are made in China, and almost every cloth and painted toy is too.
I have started using other things for toys...rings from large mouth bottles (home canning), even letting them shred paper plates...far safer than the things from China.
Also, I have never seen a chicken tender treat that is NOT made in China and even though they say they contain only chicken, the treats were quietly recalled because of toxic substances...but they are still out there!
I personally have purchased a lot of toothpaste and toothbrushes from PetEdge and I got 2...that's right TWO emails warning me about the recall for dog toothpaste...however...they SAID "You don't need to notify your customers, just let us know you destroyed the product and we will refund your money."
Makes me wonder how many other things are handled like that.
China is the ONLY supplier of some vitamins used in pet AND human foods...
People keep thinking that this is an isolated thing...but it is not. We should be very careful to read labels and to contact companies and tell them that we refuse to buy any product with any ingredient from China...maybe then they will take notice.
Soooo, when we buy an dog toy, or treat or even toothpaste, we may well be introducing our dogs to toxins. I believe that is why we are seeing so many diseases that are bewildering the vets, and losing dogs...like I lost my little pink girl at 8 weeks...no one knows why she died. No one knows why one day she was healthy and the next she was sick and the next day she died. But I think I know. I believe all of these things mentioned above contributed.
So, thank you for posting this...and you are not mistaken!

G

·
I wrote to Kong and they just answered. Good to know the Classics are made in US!

All Classic KONG natural rubber
products are made in the US and have manufactured in FDA and USDA/APHIS
approved factories. All Ingredients are of US origin with one exception:
rice flour from Italy. Additionally, all KONG Stuff'N treats are tested for
quality assurance by independent USDA approved laboratories. Together these
lines represent over eighty percent of all KONG products.

The remaining KONG products: AIR KONG (tennis ball toys), KONG Plush, and
KONG Wubba are made in China. These factories are under strict KONG
Supervision and have proven to produce reliable and safe products. All
imported product lines are tested by independent laboratories to prove they
are safe and non-toxic. Once products are received in the KONG warehouse
they are again subjected to strict KONG quality control procedures to
further ensure our KONG products are the finest available.
No KONG product, toy or treat has ever been involved in a recall!
Thank you for contacting us. Sandy

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Nice to know that about Kong Linda...thanks for writing to them...I check all labels now, to see where a product was made...for the dodg and for us!!! Can't be too careful these days... :?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Well, while I appreciate the Kong company response, I am not so trusting either. What happens, when products from China are inspected is that they insepct one thing out of many (a case, a shipment, ???) and if that product fails the test, what do they do? They take that ONE product out and send the rest on. I can't say, specifically, that the Kong company does this, but...

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I'm not normally one to jump to conclusions, but I have begun to wonder if this is Chinas way of terrorizing us. The extensive list of BAD products from there is insane!
When Christmas shopping I made a point no to buy ANYTHING made in china. I probably paid more for other items, but at least I don't have to wonder if I'm putting my loved ones at risk!

Doesn't it just seem like there's been far too much of it lately?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Well, as you can tell, I share your fears!
I guess that having one pup almost die (very sudden sickness) and then the dog food recall saying that pets were getting sick, the same symptoms, from foods...and finding out that what we had been feeding was from China...then losing an 8 week old pup, with similar symptoms, after feeding the chicken tender treats, which are made in China and recalled (without our knowledge)...and having the vets say that they have no idea what happened...well, you have to start thinking that there is a connection.
And, the low price keeps people buying from these manufacturers...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts