Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dakota will be one year old on Nov 6! :D I have promised him, since he was 8 weeks old, that I would buy him a red leather collar for his first birthday. Look as we might, we can't find one that justifies $40 or $50 dollars--I will keep looking; after all, a promise is a promise! Sooo, I was wandering through a pet store the other day and found a "dog agility starter kit". How perfect!! We have been talking about starting Dakota in agility when he is old enough--the recommended age is 18 months. He loves to leap over his 80 pound best friend--and our planter boxes--and to do things like run up and slide down slides at a local school--we figured him as a natural! This kit is just fun--tinker toy version of "real" agility! It has an agility tube, which--after he got over his fear of it--we got him through 4 or 5 times; and it has a high jump. He did alright on the high jump, but I think my husband raised the bar to high (no pun!)--about 18 inches. It is just different for Dakota and the instructions say to start them low and gradually raise the bar. It also has weave bars, which are the hardest to learn, so I think I'll save that until next spring! We also got him a soccer ball because he loves to kick balls. Within 5 minutes, he figured out how to carry that ball in his mouth! Although he did not get through the skin to puncture it, it now looks like a spaghetti ball! :roll: Next, he'll get a basketball--that might be a bit harder to shred! :wink:
Here's the kit, if anyone is interested. I got it at a local pet store, but it is also available at PetsMart for $59.99.

Diane (and Dakota)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hey Diane, Dakota isn't spoiled or anything, is he. :lol: That kit looks neat. Is it something that could be set up on concrete? Jett's Birthday is on Nov 4th and Copper turns one on Dec 1st, that would make a great gift.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, I have been looking at those for our dogs! (Although I think they would eat the whole thing in a matter of days...)
Let me know how Dakota does with it!
What a great present!
Happy Birthday Dakota...and Jett (and soooooon our babies!)
Yep. He's spoiled. (thank goodness.)

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I just ran Dakota through the courses again. (Lucky for him, my husband is working on a kitchen remodel two houses down so I got to adjust the height of the high jump to something more reasonable. With everyone wanting remodelings, my husband hasn't had to venture more than three houses away for the last three years--sheesh!) I put the "tube" in the hallway to our bedroom and sent Dakota through it about 15 times--I think he rather likes it! I took him in the yard for about 10 jumps. He still bumped the bar off about 5 times, but that is much better than yesterday!
Vicky--I'm afraid this kit is designed to be "staked" into the ground. :(
Jacque--I would consider this kit a non-edible. It is so easy to put up and take down, you can easily supervise your doggies the entire time you work with them.
Dakota is a huffin' and a puffin' right now! I am too, and that's a good thing! :wink: I would recommend this kit--it's fun!! :lol:
Diane (and Dakota)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
That is great! Where did you get it and what is the brand? I'd really love something like that for my dogs.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The brand is "Dog Games" and it is called the Dog Agility Starter Kit. I bought it at a local pet store for about $55; PetsMart has it for $59.00 but I just found the same kit on ebay for under $40. Here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dog-Agility-Starter ... 0043647240. Enjoy! :lol:
Diane (and a very tired Dakota!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts