Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me for gushing but after last week's tragic hyper-active-doodle training night :( , Dakota went to his graduation night of puppy school last night and showed'em all how it should be done!! He did the sits, downs, stays (kind of), puppy-push-ups, sit-and-greets, take-its, drop-its and leave-its like an old pro!! But the best part was the loose lead walking. Last week he drug me through the store aisles to the point of humiliation; last night (with the fabulous assist of the gentle leader) he started, stopped, walked fast, walked slow and resisted the temptations that his instructor attepted to lure him with :D ! And when he did the "come" he ran to me like a maniac and slid into me like he sliding into home plate! We're very proud of our boy and can't wait to start intermediate school--unfortutately due to vacations (dang!) we can't start until the end of May . . .

·
Registered
207 Posts
WooHoo Dakota! Great Job!

We (Copper, Jason and I) are in the middle of our puppy classes with PetSmart. We just started sit stays and Copper doesn't "get it" at all. :cry:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Excellent!

I should be posting up the same after Saturday... that's when Bandit's graduation is.
We did do a run through last weekend and I was impressed with how well he resisted the urges and distractions while in a stay (sit, stand, down flavors) off leash and I was 100' away. And also we were shown the AKC Good Citizen requirements and ran through them too.

Our trainer took the Puppy Kindegarten/Basic Obedience and morphed them together for us since there were only 3 pups and the youngest was 5 months when we started.
This will put us in the Intermediate course with his siblings next week when we start that class.

BTW, how old is Dakota? Birthdate?

G

·
Go Bandit!! Off to the next level! I sure wish we could start sooner, but it just doesn't work with our schedule. After intermediate, I plan to do advanced and then my goal is to work Dakota into agility. Gotta' do something with that energy!!

Dakota is just barely over 5 months (Nov 6). He had a big week; snipped and chipped on his 5 month birthday and puppy school graduation 5 days later!

JettsMom--Copper WILL get it; these pups are smart! With Dakota, I started by counting the seconds out loud. When he averted his eyes, I would add a very quick "Dakota, watch me!!" That seemed to do the trick. I have now weaned him off of the verbal counting.

Diane

G

·
Congratulations Buiscuit and Dakota! Good job!!

Uh, Vicky...I am afraid that Chase is the culprit again... :? You see, he is sweet, dorky, calm, loving and funny...but he has never felt a need to be trained! (And, acutally, we have not found any reason to either...he is such a good dog he didn't have to learn...he just did it naturally! :lol: )

I will bet that Molly will chime in here (Molly is Chase's sister, and Terri Lynn is her mama...) but she and I are always laughing at our Poodles and their sweetness, but total lack of desire to perform! Guess I should have warned you about that... :oops:

G

·
Sorry, that was me, Jac...and I DO know how to spell Biscuit...I think that I take after Chase...I did see that we are talking about congratulations to Bandit...sorry...major brain freeze going on here.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Maybe if I log in, my brain will turn on! Yepper it did!
Congratulations BANDIT AND SKIPPER...just kidding! :lol:

CONGRATULATIONS BANDIT AND DAKOTA!!!! (And Jac!)

·
Registered
207 Posts
LOL Jac!

Actually, after I read the first post regarding Dakota's success at school I tried again with Copper and HE DID IT! Not a real long stay, but for the 10 seconds that we are supposed to try for. He even stayed while I pivoted and waved my arms around. Of course we were in my office with the door closed and absolutely no other distractions, :wink: but I will take it.

Diane, thanks for the tip to have Copper "watch me." That is what I ended up doing and he did his "stay" with just a small reminder. Hey, what do you think about, after this rains stops and the ground dries out, getting these kids together for a play date?

Good luck Bandit on your upcoming graduation performance.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Diane, what side of town are you on? I'm in Rancho Murieta. We have a couple of parks, lakes, etc out here but unfortunately we also have a strict leash law. I would love to find a location that allows off leash but not necessarily a dog park. I am still a little hesitant about those. Have you gone to one yet?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have not--they concern me a bit. The city has a few parks--I can check into them. Does your dood(s) swim? I have a pretty big yard and a pool. I'm in the Arden-Arcade area. We're off right now for a weekend at Eagle Lake--I'll be in touch next week; glad to know you're so close!
Diane

·
Registered
142 Posts
seazr said:
Forgive me for gushing but after last week's tragic hyper-active-doodle training night :( , Dakota went to his graduation night of puppy school last night and showed'em all how it should be done!! He did the sits, downs, stays (kind of), puppy-push-ups, sit-and-greets, take-its, drop-its and leave-its like an old pro!! But the best part was the loose lead walking. Last week he drug me through the store aisles to the point of humiliation; last night (with the fabulous assist of the gentle leader) he started, stopped, walked fast, walked slow and resisted the temptations that his instructor attepted to lure him with :D ! And when he did the "come" he ran to me like a maniac and slid into me like he sliding into home plate! We're very proud of our boy and can't wait to start intermediate school--unfortutately due to vacations (dang!) we can't start until the end of May . . .
That is so awsome good for you!!!!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Good job Dakota!!!!! Toby graduates from intermediate school next week. He will now stay in a down wait even when I get out of sight!!! Woohoo. Then, he comes when called......Unfortunately, he is still not very good at come at other times. He is really growing up and behaving nicely. Copper will get it too----Toby really frustrated me for a while there---it hurt my feelings when he acted as though he did not even know that he was my dog. But he's getting it now. Many thanks to liver treats. :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts