Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
I just told my 5y/o she was having an operation so she could not have puppies. He was so upset that we couldn't let her have puppies, he didn't ask about the details :lol:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Sometime less is more and depending on the child.
You know your children best so give enough information that you think they can handle. Some children will get upset at hearing that there will be no puppies and some just say oh! ok.LOL

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
my 5 year old hands me the scissors to clip umbilical cords and holds towels when mackenzie is birthing - so I guess it does depend on what your children are exposed to. If one of my dogs goes to the dr my daughter could care less!

I do as a mom believe in honesty (perhaps from having an RN mom) I would start with she is going to the doctor and will have to rest a few days when she gets back, if they ask you could go with the puppy thing as mentioned above and if they persist I would go further by giving a few more details.

also of note is that really cool program In the Womb on National Geographic - if they are interested my 5 year old liked it but I am not sure she understood much of it, was just fun watching the babies grow!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for your replies. I guess my issue is that my boys are adopted. I always explained to them that I couldn't grow a baby in my tummy and that they grew in thier birth mothers. I am thinking that our situation may complicate things. Maybe not ... just me being extra cautious. I quess we could say that if Daisy wants to be a mother we could adopt another puppy! Thanks...

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
karenl....your last sentence was perfect!!!
something tells me you'll know what to say when asked. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts