Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am writing this note with tears in my eyes & sadness in my heart. My sweet 9 year old Black Lab Daisy passed away today. Inspite of multiple tumors in her spleen, she did quite well since her diagnosis on Dec 1st. (see my thread from earlier this month in this section entitled “just need to share.")
Even though she was losing weight & not doing her regular high energy running around, she enjoyed her last weeks playing her most favorite “go find the toy” game, eating lots of her favorite treats, getting millions of hugs & kisses (the top of her head had permanent lipstick stains!) & until today, was not in any distress or pain.
Today she went downhill within hours. She refused to eat or drink & wouldn’t even lift her head or wag her tail when we spoke to her. Her breathing was labored, her abdomen started to swell & her gums turned white (a sign of very severe anemia.) – she was bleeding to death internally from the spleen tumors rupturing. We knew we had to act quickly to help ease her pain. Our wonderful vet came right out to our home between seeing her other patients & ended Daisy’s suffering. Daisy drifted off peacefully while lying on her favorite pillow, snuggly wrapped in a puffy quilt with all of us around her. She was loved by all who knew her & of course, we didn’t want to lose her but we had to do the right thing for her.
We were glad that she made it through Christmas in good spirits & got a chance to have our sons, their wives & their Goldendoodles see her & give her some extra loving. She was so happy & waggedy-tailed the whole weekend & even had the pep to tear apart & get the squeaker out of the fluffy stuffed toy that Santa gave her (her second most favorite game!)
Thank you all for your prayers. We knew her condition was terminal & wanted her have quality time left & a peaceful death – she had that & I know your prayers helped that to happen.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm so sorry about your loss. I think it is wonderful that you were able to let her pass in her own bed with everyone around. You're in our thoughts and prayers. Take care.

Bridget

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
My heart aches for you right now. I know that you gave Daisy the best life possible and that she was loved beyond measure. Her last days are a tribute to that love and devotion. Bless you and your family at this time...I am so sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have tears in my eyes.... I just want you to know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers and will be for some time. Please know that you gave Daisy the best life filled with lots of love and good times. She is out of pain and looking over you as a guardian angel now! Stay strong......hugs to all!

Love, Susie and Abbie :cry:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Terribly sorry, I'm glad she was able to pass with her family at her side.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm so sorry. I lost my Bailey this past summer and I still grieve him. But much more than that I have such wonderful memories of his faithful presence and will have for the rest of my life. In helping her go, you returned her devotion with the noblest of gifts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss...what a beautiful and fitting tribute to your beloved pet that he died after such a wonderful weekend with all the people he loved. Prayers are with you as you grieve.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Pattydaisy so sorry to hear about Daisy ..but she was so lucky to have you and your support to make her comfortable and let her know she was loved in her last days...What more can you give any living creature...My prayers are with you ....

·
Registered
209 Posts
Your post about Daisy's life and passing is so touching! I am so sorry and share your grief for the loss of your beloved Daisy.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just checking in on you and your family. Hope with each passing day, things will start to look up for you. We are thinking about you! :)

Susie and Abbie Doodle

1 - 20 of 23 Posts