Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone...I am sitting up at 1:45am with our 5 month old doodle Dunkin. Dunkin had a wonderful day of playing and exercising today and tonight he got to rest in his crate while my husband and I went out to dinner. When we got home Dunkin was happy to see us and right away I started to notice he was yelping and whining a lot. Well that has continued all night. Every few mintues of so he gives a little whine or cry. We were a little worried that maybe he had a piece of his toy stuck in his throat or lost a tooth ( which I noticed he did) and swollowed it down but it was stuck. So basically I can't sleep and I have my husband worried. He thinks that its his larger ( fang like ) teeth bothering him. I have checked him like crazy for those burr things that dogs pick up outside, and have found none. We think its something to do with his mouth because when we go to open it to look he cries. I also saw him go for an itch with his mouth and cry on contact. Do puppies really continue to cry like that over sore teeth? I have been up with him and he has enjoyed 2 ice cubes. Could that be it? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Cassie,
It is certainly possible that Dunkin is having trouble with his teeth...I don't believe that it is common, but certainly possible.
It does sound like his mouth is bothering him a lot. My dogs did not have this type of trouble when they were teething. You could freeze a wet wash rag, rolled up and let him chew on that...and maybe even try the stuff for baby teeth, to rub on his sore spot...but I think that these should be things just to comfort him until you can see the vet.
I would take him in on the first available time. Dogs don't usually show when they are in pain, so he may be really hurting.
I guess you checked to see if he had anything stuck in his gums? Like a splinter or something? (Maybe use a magnifying glass to look?)
Poor Dunkin...please let us know how he is in the morning.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jac...thanks for the ideas. I just put a wash cloth in the freezer for him for later. He went back to bed shortly after I posted and I didn't hear him from then on. He seems okay this morning. He ate and drank so thats always good. I'll keep an eye out today and call the vet when she's in tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hey Cassie, how's Dunkin today? I have thought a lot about him...and I remember that one of our dogs, Rosie, had double teeth...the baby teeth were still firmly in place and the permanent teeth were in! That got really sore and swollen and I was worried...the vet was ready to do surgery...but Rosie found some toys and chewies and next thing I knew, the baby teeth were out!
Maybe Dunkin fixed his own problem too...sure hope so!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi...You know we never got to the bottom of what was wrong. Dunkin has been fine since. I did notice while examining his mouth that one baby tooth was turning black at the top and I think that tooth was bothering him. Luckily it fell out on Sunday. I did get creative with treats for his teeth though. I have a large ice cube tray so I filled it with water and submerged a puppy biscuit that fit right in. The top stuck out just enough for him to realize what was frozen inside. He loves them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts