Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seen on another forum Breeders posting where they have seen several places with Labradoodle pictures for sale. I actually went there and found Tejas's picture the one I just posted here today under another topic they are selling it!!!

http://www.gotpetsonline.com/pictures/g ... les/Page1/

I did ask them to remove it for sale. You might want to take a look...

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Thanks Linda, I saw a couple of familiar Doodles on there :x

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Linda! Have you ever posted an ad or had any business with "Got Pets Online"?
If you have advertised there, they may have small print in the agreement giving up all rights to the picture....but if not this is outrageous!
Tejas is still there, by the way! I also saw Dixie Springer's Maestro and Howdydoodle's Cali....have these pictures been entered in any contest or sales ad?
I think I need to find out how to place a watermark over all of my pictures with a copyright...I will ask Dave, to see if they are free to use/sell your pictures if they are not copyrighted. I don't think that they can, but I don't know.
By the way, for those of you posting in the contests, you may be allowing the company the complete use of that picture....be sure to read the rules and legal stuff before you grant permission.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Good point Jac, I never think to read the fine print when entering a contest or advertising with anyone :roll: It's ashame that you have to be so darn careful with anything you do anymore :x

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Enforcing a copyright on the internet is tricky business - which is why I took my photo gallery down - If I have a client who wants to see my work outside of my gallery, I have a business card sized cd slideshow I can mail out to them, along with a brochure. I found so many of my images on wannabe photographer's websites claiming them as their own!

Jacque is right in that apparently we all need to watermark our images - the other thing that we can do is have a note in the registration form, and also at the bottom of the forum screens that all images are copyright and property of their owners and are not to be used in any form without the owners consent.

Simply typing at the bottom of your photograph ©2007 is enough to scare off the typical idiot photo theif! It should be right across the image though - in a spot that you can't cut off or you lose the image completely :)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm the worst about not reading all the fine print mostly because I don't understand the legal stuff anyway so it doesn't do me much good. I'm sure I gave away my pictures without even knowing it. I still sent them an email haven't heard anything yet.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
aside from people stealing pictures I cant imagine a breeder even wanting to put someone elses dogs on their site. What a misrepresentation. I would be madder than heck if I bought a dog that I thoguht would look one way and it looked another cause of stolen pictures.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Diane, is that a picture of Archie??? He is sooooooo danged cute! I love the tilt of his head!

Linda, I still think that a demand to remove the photo immediately is a good idea. I'll let you know what Dave thinks about whether or not they can sell without your permission.

The bad thing is, and they know this, that in order to stop them, you'd have to pay a lot to an attorney to file copyright infringement suit. Still, if you can get an attorney to write a demand letter to them, that might stop them. I don't think that they are prepared for a protracted legal battle over a picture either.

But what I really hate is that they are selling your picture...AND the person buying it MAY be buying all of the rights to use it too!

You know, now that I am thinking about it, I believe that places like Shutterfly, Photobucket and possibly Avatar have you agree to give them the rights to the picture...although it may be limited rights. I don't think that they can sell them.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Jac, yes, that is my Archie :) He is my love :D

·
Registered
985 Posts
All intellectual property - paintings, photos, songs, writings - is copyrighted by law, although it helps to add the copyright symbol along with a signature or name if it's an image of some sort. Most artists don't use dates so their pictures don't get categorized that way. However, the problem of thieves is a chronic one. Some artists I know removed their work from their websites after finding versions of their paintings being touted for sale by Chinese or other ripoff "artists", some of whom operate on eBay. Watermarking is one way to go.

I have written Google to object to their offering up my paintings via their image searches. I also included a script to prevent the bots from harvesting the pictures, but I don't have that on my newer website and I'm seeing more successful image searches coming through on my stats. The troubling aspect of it is that the images appear, when people do searches, without the context of the page on which it's written that all work is copyrighted.

Anyway, it's a serious problem. But if you write to the offenders, in your case, and cc a lawyer, often that will take care of it.

Leslie

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know legally I properly messed up and signed something I shouldn't have but to me it comes down to ethics. Why would you sell a picture or even use someone else's picture of their dog for your profit or use! But I guess not everyone has our ethics do they. :roll:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts