Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Octavius my pride and joy puppy has been diagnosed with a yeast infection in his left ear..... :( Vet advised probably from not drying ears properly post beach.....I have read some posts on the internet about alcohol swabs keeping it dry. I was wondering if anyone has come across this with their Labradoodle
and any preventative tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
You'll get a wealth of answers from more knowledgeable posters than me. Except for the large puddles in my back yard, my 2 don't get any swimming in!
They are jealous of Occy though!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Hi Keeters,

Check out the post under "questions" about ear cleaning. You will see a lot of suggestions for cleaning and keeping your dog's ears dry. We use alcohol on a Q tip and a cotton ball, but not every one does this method. Alcohol cleans and dries out any water that might be in his ear. Some people use vinegar, but it's your preference.

We don't have a beach, but we do have a pond. Water and Doodles go hand in hand! Why is it that they don't like baths?

G

·
Boyd was diagnosed with a yeast infection in his right ear on Monday. Vet said to be vigilant about cleaning ears once a week, making sure to get the ear dry once you use the solution. There are tons of different solutions you can use. Right now I'm using a prescription solution but in the future I will use once from the pet store.

My vet also said to make sure Boyd's ear canals are free of hair so I need to pluck them every six weeks.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max in past once had a yeast infection and the Vet gave us OTTOMAX which worked well.

I do clean his ears out weekly with 1 part vinegar to 2 parts tepid water

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver gets to go to the beach at least
once a week. When we are leaving and before
we drive away I clean his ears with cotton balls dipped in bottled water
and dry them completely with towel. No moisture left in the ear to
cause any build ups. So far so good.

G

·
I use water, vinegar and alcohol, 1 tablespoon of each mixed. The 1:1:1 mixture works great because:
The vinegar does not let the yeast grow, the alcohol is a drying agent, and the water makes it warm so it feels better? (I'm guessing on the vinegar and water, but the alcohol IS a drying agent which is why you don't want to use it alone, too strong)
I hope Occy feels better! I love his name!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Linda...i never thought of using the alcohol as the drying agent as i always wash my doodles ears out with vineagar and water with a q tip or cotton ball. then lightly rub them with a soft towel to dry them.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Just a word of caution here...if your dog has any type of sore in his ear, the alcohol and vinegar will burn.
I like to use commercial products, Veterinarian's Best Natural Care Ear Relief Wash is good and it comes with a drying agent (purchased as a pair or separately) which goes in as a white gel and dries to a powder afterwards. It smells kind of nice too...and my dogs LOVE to get their ears cleaned...they love the rubbing.
If you pluck ear hairs, please don't use the alcohol or vinegar until the folicle (sp?) heals! Ouch!
I don't know that plucking ear hair is always necessary (sometimes, yes) but if the hair is not growing deeply into the ear canal it shouldn't be a problem. In fact, it may help keep sticks and twigs from getting inside. However, if the opening is so heavily blocked that air can't get inside, then either plucking or clipping the hair is advisable.
The important thing is to keep the ears dry and to smell them often. Yeast infections tend to come back and you can always smell them!
If it gets really bad and hard to control, my vet gave my dog a shot of cortisone (I think...ask your vet, it may have been prednisone) and we have not had a problem since.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
He is gorgeous and appears to be so happy chewing HIS bucket :wink: :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Crikey Occy has an

Very cute dog!! Sure can see the Doodle personality. We have an ear infection medicine receipe that we use. It's Gentin Violet, Boric Acid Power and alcohol. Does wonders. If you'd like the receipe just let me know. :lol: Forgot to mention that we use it everyday for a week when an infection flares up. Then once every two weeks or so. Keeps it under control.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts