Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These guys are crazy! Having 2 year old Chester and 3 month old Archie has been a riot but I don't know how you all with 2 puppies do it.
Archie is adjusting well to us. He's doing well on housebreaking. Between the 4 of us we're like a pit crew with any accidents---someone is taking him out, someone is blotting, someone is getting bags and someone is spraying Nature Miracle. He's also doing better and better in his crate. Chester is adjusting to Archie too. Of course if Archie has a toy Chester will steal it and a rollicking game of keep-away ensues. Sometimes Archie will get the toy but when he starts prancing Chester has to knock him down a peg. I don't know if Archie has realized Chester is 4 times his size right now because he thinks nothing of biting at Chester's tail or ears. We're trying to stop that game because pretty soon Chester is going to swat him across the room!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I know exactly what you mean! Throw in out of town company and it becomes a free for all! :shock: So much for potty training, the potty training pit crew was on overtime! I did not realize company would set us back so far. :cry: Potty training aside Lani and Toby entertained everyone, except for Gabe, 5 yrs.old, he did not like them at all! Who needs tv when you have, Big Time Puppy Wrestling, The Doodle 500 and Electric Fence Show Down! Did I forget to mention that we installed an electric fence just before we got Toby? After the toll on my gardens this last 3 weeks my husband decided to start training (or his own version) while we had company. Need I say more. :wink: Needless to say today we are spending the day recovering and my childern left for 9 days to go to San Antonio for the ELCA Nation Youth Gathering. Puppies are sleeping... time to relax with a good book! :lol:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, boy, I feel your pain! (But I also know that you have so much more joy and happiness with two!)
Actually, our newest puppy did exactly what you are talking about and she has turned into the top dog...size and gender don't really matter...some dogs are meant to be the leaders, others the followers...and in our dog circle, they trade off...it all depends on how important the matter is at the time.
Hey...try having 2 dogs a little over 2 years of age, one dog a little over a year, another 8 months old and 10 puppies! Whooooweee...we have fun!
(Then you get people like Maureen, Di and Linda who have multiple litters on the ground at once too! Egads!!)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
We are having a ball, we usually remember this when they are asleep! :lol: Lani is in puppy heaven to have a brother! Jac I'm not sure I can imagine the fun you are having and those with multiple litters my hats off to you! :D

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We've taken to letting Chester escape into another room and blocking Archie out so he can get a break. I don't know if that's the best idea or not. Lot's of puppy petting going on. Then there are those moments when they cuddle up next to each other and its just too adorable.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I took Lani and Toby to the vet (not at the same time, can't do that yet by myself) to be weighed. Lani is 44 lbs. (6 months) and Toby the Tank is 26 lbs. (14 weeks). I think he is going to be a big boy! Lani better watch out, as I've told my daughter one day your brother is going to be bigger than you...
paybacks are ... :lol:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Archie is weighing in at about 30lbs. I think we're going to have another big boy as Chester is 100lbs. HOPEFULLY Archie won't pass him up!
Its so fun to see the personality differences. Chester was always a little more timid and certain noises really scared him. I think it was from being at a pet store. Archie is fearless...the stuff we used to train Chester (shaker bottle etc) have no impact. Also, Archie may be part vacuum...what ever he sees he wants suck up and test out by biting...rocks, mulch, paper, grass, Chester's tail. Walks are quite a challenge so far.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Well it must be a family trait! :lol: Toby isn't scared of the shaker can or the vac either, Lani is still timid around both. I'm at a loss for effective deterents! :( The shaker was very effective for Lani. He also sucks up what ever he can find! I find him chewing on rocks and pieces of mortar! He has thrown up little pieces of chewed up mulch :shock: Walks, hahaha, he just lays down every couple of feet! Lazy boy except when he wants to play! :lol: Toby's middle name is "Trouble"!It's a good thing he is sooooo cute! :lol:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well when you come up with an idea let me know! I guess there is something to genetics.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
My husband has decided that if Toby had come first we would not have gotten another puppy. :cry: Toby is a challenge but he is so dang cute and sweet you can't help but love him! :lol: I'll keep trying different deterents and let you know IF ANYTHING works. Is Archie still sporting the Alfalfa look? Toby is!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We call it a puppy mohawk now. I love the puppy fuzz. We've also decided Archie's tongue must be too big for his mouth since its usually hanging out the side.
Its funny because when our daughter was a baby she was the easiest baby on earth...our son on the other hand...was not and we joke that if he had come first he may have been an only...same with Chester and Archie. So I see what your husband is saying. But since my son is turning out great (he's 13) we know Archie will too...so will Toby.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Is the tongue hanging out the side of ht mouth a poodle thing? Lani does it also. :) Our chocolate lab never had her toungue hanging out the side. We know that Toby will be a great dog. He really is very sweet, he just has horns behind his ears. :lol: Everyone who has met the two of them think they are wonderful and have great personalities! I have to agree but I'm a little biased :lol:

·
Registered
279 Posts
There's no question two at a time can be a real challenge. I threw up my hands with George and Gracie a lot of times and got really frustrated. They will be a year old on the 14th and life has now grown amazingly manageable....but what a year!

My best advice is to separate them as often as possible and spend time playing, making eye contact, fun stuff. My husband and I regularly take one or the other of them in the car for errands. They are the most manageable, sweet and obedient puppies, one at a time. But when they're together, they can still create a lot of mischief.

I've said it before, I would never get two at the same age again.....BUT I'M SO GLAD I DID!!!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You're not biased at all. You're totally correct.
Chester has the tongue hanging out usually too.
I love it when they both come running at me with their ears flopping, their tails going a mile a minute and their tongues flapping. It makes me smile everytime.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Haha great picture! Nothing says I love you like a huge doodle flying at you with a big slobbery tongue and the floppy ears :)

Bridget, Summer, and Duke

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hey , how are Chester and Archie doing? Lani and Toby seem like they have been together forever. He still has horns growing up behind his ears :lol: Toby is only a couple of inches shorter than Lani now, I think he will be a tall boy. Here is a photo from today, he still has his mohawk!

·
Registered
853 Posts
IT's very entertaining hearing about all your double doodles!

Diane -that's a fantastic picture of Dakota - what a pretty background.

Lisa - Toby is so, so cute!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The boys are doing great. They are so silly together. Lots and lots of chasing. Archie looks exactly like Toby. We were out of town last week and really missed our puppies. Archie has grown so much! He's just a tall lanky guy.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
We will be out of town next week. A friend's son is staying at the house to watch the puppies and cats, she will be helping also. Little does he know what he is in for! :lol: He has been trying to talk his mom into getting a puppy. I think this might cure him! LOL I am a little anxoius about leaving them, they are my bables. Glad Archie and Chester are doing well. Are oyu going to the Romp? If so have a run for us and we will see you in August!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts