Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. We have had Calvin since he was 8 weeks old...(he is now 13 weeks by the way). Anyway, he sleeps in the garage and has a doggie door to the back yard where he has a fenced area. In the morning we play outside a short while until I see him go potty, then he comes in the house. EVERYTIME he comes in the house he is a madman! No matter how mellow he is outside, he turns into psycho puppy in the house. Running, jumping on furniture, biting the table, biting US, just a nut! No matter that I have toys strewn about the house for him to eat...Oh no! He wants to eat the leg of the table or the base of the couch. At first I thought it was just the newness of coming in, but it's old news now and he still does it. He knows the rules, but chooses to break them. How do I teach him to mellow out? I am working on the 'long down stay', but he ignores that....when he misbehaves, he goes back outside and waits at the back door, often barking, until he is able to come back in....HELP! I want him to be included in the family stuff, but I cannot afford new furniture and my kids don't appreciate the nipping...Any advice? Leslie

·
Registered
294 Posts
is he not allowed in the house for long periods? maybe this is the problem, he has been cut off from the family too long, My doodle sleeps in the house not outside, I know you said he is in the garage, but it is not in the house.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest...At this point I don't trust him enough to sleep in the house. I'm afraid he will eat 1/2 the furniture by daybreak....Do you think just because he sleeps outside he feels "cut off" from the family? I am home all day so he does not have long periods during the day where he is alone. Leslie

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
During the day we are either outside with him or inside with him. If we have to go anywhere without him, he goes into his 'run', which has the door to the garage. He never cries or barks in there, so I don't think he is unhappy while we are gone. Maybe he is just an excited puppy and I need to give him time. I expect the chewing obsession to get better after his grown up teeth come in, right? Leslie

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Sounds like

he is in desparate need of attention,,and puppy classes may be in order for the entire family,,walking him several times per day will help alot,, He just wants your love and attention nothing wrong with him at all!!

also you may want to get csear millians the dog whisperer series of DVDs they are only 35.00 at www.overstock.com and his book csears way,,this will help YOU understand your dog,
who did you get you pup from?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read that he is in "desperate need of attention", but we are with him all day. We go for a walk in the morning, and one in the evening. We go to a park everyday, I feel like we are constantly interacting with him, playing fetch, etc....And I read the book "cesars way", and about 8 other books on training and discipline. You are right, we need a puppy class, but nobody in our town offers them. We live in a small town. I'm feel like I need to get a handle on his behavior before it's too late. He is young and now is the time, but I am lost. I'll check out the DVD's as soon as possible. Thanks for your advice and keep it comin'...
Leslie

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I am

so glad you realize you need to get a hold of it now
I have a real concern however that your keeping him in the garage and not allowing him in the house to learn proper behaviour ,,that is not helping ,,
what i recommend to my families is a large wire crate and ex pen connected together,,im sorry i forgot how old your pup is,, would determine what size ex pen to get 32-36" tall,, dont allow him out if you cant supervise him consistantly,,,this helps in crate training housebreaking and a safe place for the pup to be if you cant watch him,,not only can he distroy your property,which you have already seen,,but if he injests anything you have the potential of emergency surgury,,this happened to one of my clients dog almost died,,she almost didnt get surgury because of lack of funds, she got them up,,but i almost paid for it,, in any case this pup needs to feel like part of the family at all costs,,not put in garage with a door to be left to its own,,
there is somthing missing,,i truly believe thats it,, leash training,,learning to sit,,down stay ,,,i dont use the word no,,i use Atttt leave it,,
all basic commands that have to be worked on consistantly,,

lets look at this,,when your child started walking,, did you smack his hand and teach him certain things were not acceptable? im sure you did,, you didnt put him in his room and close the door to keep him away from it,, same with the pup,,he must be taught proper behaviour in all circumstances,, your rite you do need to start now,,not remove him from the family or the problem,,,am i making sense? i certainly hope i have helped in some way,,its so hard to do when im not rite there,,i can just go by what you are saying
Sowwy imma tryin here :O) Nancy

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let me restate that we do not "keep him in the garage", he simply goes there to sleep. All other times he is with us, either in or out of the house. I tend to think that being in a wire box would not be better. He is housebroken. He learned that quickly. He sits, lays down, (but will not stay down for long periods), comes when called. He is generally a good boy, but when he's 'wound up', he's tough to deal with.
You say he must be taught proper behavior..but you don't say how. What is the punishment? I do not hit him. I try to redirect him to an appropriate behavior, but am often bit in the process...If I had a nickel for every time I said "NO BITE", I would be a very rich woman. It is obviosly not working since there are no reprocussions. So he gets a "time out" so that we can both calm down. Usually less then 15 minutes.
I don't want anyone to think I am a bad owner. I take this responsibility very seriously, which is why I am seeking help. I love this dog and want him to be happy. He is only 13 weeks. BIG, powerful, but still very young.
Leslie

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Ok my last post

all im trying to do is help you,,maybe just step back look at the big picture,,I am obviously not doing a very good job of it, i hate trying to write things on the net people can get so defensive when it was never meant to be hurtful atall,,,

didnt say you were a bad owner,,fyi

a few training books may be in order,,rereading csears way,,to help you get in the mind set of training a dog and how dogs think,,and watching his series will help you learn by his actions on how to train,,not step by step i know,,but if you start thinking like him that will get you on the rite path,,

and most importantly ,,he is a puppy,,this is normal puppy behaviour,,he is not a bad puppy,,he is trying to get attention in anyway he can,,,,consistancy is the key,, and a must
try to utilize what you are reading and learning ,dont get defensive, and help your pup learn how to be good,,You could try the teethering technique,,i havent used it but there are loads of books and info on the net to help you im sure,,I hope i have helped, It doesnt sound like i have,,
good luck

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
13 weeks?? Don't despair! My Dakota had "wacky doodle hour"-- (which often lasted for several) for his first several months with us--sometimes twice a day or more! :roll: At 9 months, he now has insane time slots occasionally but not at all like before. Your pup will get better--it's going to take time, patience and consistancy on your part. And let me repeat: patience!!
Diane (and Dakota)

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is exactly how our Fuji is as well, I thought maybe it was us but seeing all these posts its probably 50% his fault and 50% ours haha. We have nicknamed him the devil :evil:
He gets these crazy spats mainly in the evening but it is crazy one minute he'll be resting then all of a sudden another crazy spat. We walk him multiple times during the day and play with him. We've stopped rough housing with him and baby tug of war. I hope Fuji grows out of this soon, I feel bad I picked him up by the scruff of his neck yesterday because he went into a frenzy of biting us as well (and very aggressive).

I hate to hijack your thread but when he gets into biting frenzies we've tried everything, spray bottle (makes him go and drink water then), flicking him in the nose (didn't work and felt horrible), boppin him under the chin (felt horrible too and didn't work), saying no bite and saying good boy when he stops biting, and last now we've tried a can of pennies (distracts him for a minute). Still no clue what to do, he has started trying to hump my leg (8.5 weeks old) and I know he's trying to dominate when he does this so I just push him off and say no. Are all labradoodles this insane I thought it was a puppy thing but now I am concerned.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree with seazr. Our Kenai is almost 13 weeks old, we've had her just over 5 weeks now. She also has her frenzy moments, mostly in the evening. I think if you keep correcting your pup all the time she will eventually figure out what is acceptable behavior in the house.

I think at this age the dogs have a TON of energy and will bite anything. They do it just like a toddler would, everything goes into the mouth. We are also yelling "NO BITE" all the time, and Kenai is starting to learn that licking is OK (kisses!), but teeth are not! Kenai's crate is in the laundry room, and when she gets totally out of control we put her in there with a baby gate across the doorway for her time out. She can still see us, but she knows now that she has to settle down before she can come out. I think she actually appreciates the opportunity to rest for a few minutes!!

Although Kenai is a house dog, we previously had a golden retriever who lived in the garage with a dog run attached. She slept out there and was out there all day while we were at work. She did learn that there were different rules in the house versus outside. But it took lots of patience and consistency.

That's the only reason I still have hope for Kenai!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AAHHH, a new day and a new hope. Let me first start by saying I'm sorry if I sounded defensive...I re-read my posts and- being in a defferent state of mind than when I wrote them- understand how they could have been interpreted that way. I was at the end of a very stressful day. I felt like a bad owner all on my own, I did not think you were implying such things.

Thanks to the blog, I also read where other people are having the same problems and that if I can kep pluggin away, he will settle in o.k.

I do not mean to alienate anyone here, I need you folks! So, please forgive me and allow me to continue to seek your help and advice.
Leslie

·
Registered
54 Posts
Gus has required tons of patience, repetition and consistency. After saying "no bite" about 15,000 times and refusing to give him any love until he stopped the biting it finally started to sink in. What he wanted was my love and attention and he had to learn that he only gets it on my terms. Patience, repetition and consistency and time-outs for both you and the puppy. The time-outs, at least for Gus and myself, were an absolute necessity.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Hi Leslie, I'm certainly no expert and am having my own problems with my 8 month old doodle, but, I did want to try to encourage you if I could. When Doc was your dog's age, I kept spraying bitter apple on the furniture, upholstered and wooden, whereever he seemed to want to chew. I know some people say it didn't work for them, but, it worked for me. I also gated off much of the house so he didn't have free run of the house and had to stay in the area that I was in so I could keep an eye on him. I had all kinds of ugly scratches on my hands from Doc's little razor puppy teeth and I couldn't wait until he got his adult teeth. They don't hurt and cut as easily. The chewing and biting did get a little better, but, they still need to chew on toys, rawhides, etc. Whenever he tried to bite us, we would quickly put a toy or bone in his mouth instead. I have a kong type toy from Walmart (it looks like a rubber fire hydrant that is hollow inside) I would stuff that with various treats (cheese, peanut butter, kibble, doggy "beef stick") and layer it and try to make it hard to get the items out. That would keep him busy for a while. I also bought other kinds of longer lasting treats to try to keep him busy and chewing for a while. Another thing I got him was one of those huge basted beef leg bones. I would give that to him for about a half hour or so and then take it away to give it to him another time. He LOVED that and would have chewed on it for hours if I let him, at least until all the good stuff was chewed off of it. Now that he's 8 months old, I don't have to give him as many yummy chewy treats, so it's not as expensive anymore.

Each dog is different, but, in the Monks of New Skete training book , when someone was having problems with their dog and they found out he was sleeping in the kitchen, they suggested that he be able to sleep in the bedroom which the dogs see as the "den". They don't always like sleeping away from the pack. We had Doc sleep in a crate in my son's bedroom until he outgrew it, then we started tethering him to the leg of my son's bed so he could not roam about the room and chew up anything. We keep him in the laundry room when we have to leave the house and he actually wants to sleep in the laundry room at night now alot of the time. So, like I said, each dog is different. I noticed when we first got Doc, he seemed like a pretty independent dog.

It sounds like you are doing the best you can with what's available to you for training. It also sounds like you are giving him plenty of exercise. We are here to encourage you. (I don't know if you saw my post where I needed encouragement recently)

·
Registered
689 Posts
With Archie we call it the storm before the calm. He's 4 1/2 months.
He tears around like the Tazmanian Devil and then just drops. Even if he's been exercised all day he'll do this. Its almost like he gets in some sort of over stimulated frenzy...for now we just take cover. Chester seemed to do this as well and then outgrew it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, I needed that. He has a Kong, and about a dozen other 'toys' but he chooses to ignore tham most of the time. My hands and arms are covered in scratches in various stagesof healing...I think the kids make it worse, in a way. They are 7 and 10 and I think Calvin thinks of them as puppies, too. The initiates play with them, but it is rough and nipping...My boys do not want that, so they go away. He feeds on their excitement, so I am trying to 'train' them as well.. I do get a sense of relief to know that some of you have the same kinds of issues...I see peole walking down the street with thier perfectly mellow dogs and wonder if they spent as much time as I am spending on their dogs, or do they just grow up and mellow out? I have a friend who has 2 grown Labs that they never trained, they never come in the house and they are fine? I have hope! Thanks!
:lol:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts