Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question and no matter how I googled it, I could never find an answer, or even an inkling that any breeder anywhere has ever experienced this phenomena before. So, at the risk of sounding like a novice ... has anyone ever had a momma dog remove her puppies (newborn) from the whelping box and cart them across the room and lay them down on the cold cold floor? We lost a puppy [weep] this way and the momma is pregnant again and I WILL NOT let this happen again, I don't have thick enough skin, I was traumatized! :cry: Any advice, other than my sleeping in the box with the puppies would be ever so appreciated. BTW, I'd love to introduce myself, I am a lurker on this forum ... I'm Susie, and am a "Hobby" Breeder as termed by the state of CO!! Thanks so much in advance!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
My dog did this....

When I was little my dad bred several litters of labs. Our dog Kelly took one litter out of the whelping pen and put them in the cold dirt under the back porch deck. My job as a skinny kid was to crawl under there and pull out the puppies. Weird. I don't know why she did that and she never got upset that we removed them. All the puppies did fine in the end. Can you put a crate in the area she's going to? You may have to keep her locked in an area.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
HEY SUSIE!!!

YOU WILL LOVE THIS FORUM!

I can't help with your question, I admit. Other than dogs having a "den" mentality I can't think of why this would happen, but on another forum someone mentioned this and a breeder said they have seen it, and used an ex-pen around the whelping area to keep the puppies in a safe warm area.

does that help?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi, and welcome!
I was going to suggest the x-pen too. I think that would prevent her from taking the pup beyond a safe (and warm) distance.
Good luck with your new litter!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Susie and Welcome :D Good luck with your upcoming litter :!: You have received some good advice here, as usual :) Drop in often, we look forward to hearing more from you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts