Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!! I love looking to this board for tips and funny stories- I also love to see everyone's pictures of their doodles!! Dewey is about 15 months old now, and is starting to get a stripe, kind of like on a ridgeback, of different fur right down the middle of his back. He's fleece coated all over except his ears, the fur down his back is stiffer and dark---is this something that the furminator will get rid of, or is this normal and I should just leave it alone? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Is Dewey in your avatar? I suspect his coat is changing a little.
"They" say a doodles coat can change for three years.
Coco is 15 months old and has gone through many changes....
don't panic, it will probably all even out in the end.

8)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's Dewey the first weekend we brought him home...he's a lot bigger now!! The stripe wasn't there/ wasn't noticeable until we gave cut him short to get rid of all the baby coat matting...I've read that they might be 'guard hairs', they don't look bad, just feel different than the rest of his soft coat!

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
annabelle had a wirey stripe down her back for a while, she has several different textures of hair, her color has changed several times in her almost 2 years :wink:

G

·
I think some doodles do have the varying coat textures. Didn't someone have a patch they called their 'lab patch' on their doodle?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Sandy has a coat like that - his sides, face, belly, chest etc are all a curly fleece, but this stripe down his back is rough and woolly - darker too. It went away for a while but now its coming back. He is 14 months.

When I saw your post topic I really thought you'd be posting about a dog like my Iris... She has a natural mohawk that stands on end when she gets excited ;)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Copper had that with his last coat. He doesn't have it with his naked self, but it shows up after his hair grows in about two inches. I think those coarse hairs are refered to as Kemp? (Somebody who knows the correct term please help me out with this :) )

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max had one till he was about 13mos old

Beau has one that is about 5in wide and with 4 in curls

peanut ..........is just pure fleece

KEMP is more like the white or gray wiry hair.......almost like how it grows in on us humans after 40yrs old hahhahahaaaaaaaaa

doodles coats go thru multiple changes sometimes their coloring as well , for over a year.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Rosie has a funky coat. Her fur is rather long and wiry along her back and the rest of it is softer but not fleecy or curly. Its like lab hair but longer and with a body wave. :lol:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Copper's weren't white so I'm wondering if those hairs are coarse, curly guard hairs? His covered about the width his shoulders all the way back to his tail and were a darker shade of his coat color. They were longer than the rest too, very interesting. Does this sound like what you are noticing on Dewey?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Vicky, that sounds exactly like what Dewey has going...right down his back and a little thicker at the base of his tail...I think when he grows out and starts to 'dreadlock' again, they won't be as noticeable, but right now they're a 1/2 inch longer than the rest of him.

Side note- Dewey and Copper could be twins!! I'll have to update my picture to a more recent one!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts