Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is a good time to trust him to not be crated when we leave? Majority of the time we are always here . If we go places it is to 1 store, the park, the beach. Of course sometimes he goes with us to the park and beach too :D

Anyways, at night i started leaving the crate door open for bed time and he willingly trots on in there when i go to sleep to however if we have to go somewhere during the day he is starting to run the other way. When we first brought him home he was quick to get in the crate however he was crated lots if he wasnt left in the yard with a anti bark collar on.

I do notice a few times he sneaks the kids toys to play however im sure he just isnt clear to what really is or isnt his yet. Playroom door can be closed when we leave. However, i worry about furniture chewing, pillow chewing etc even though he has never showed these behaviors. Do you think he would be ok especially since he would be lose around our other dogs ? I know this can take time and im not expecting to try this yet however looking for some good suggestions.

thanks

Michele

·
Registered
659 Posts
This is a "it varies from dog to dog" question. Ozzie is exactly 9 months old and over the past 2 months, we've increased his time alone from a mere 15 minutes to over 3 hours. Ozzie is a non-destructive dog (except with his stuffed toys). We usually find him sleeping in his favorite spot when we return to the house. I think by 11 months, he'll be able to stay alone for up to 6 hours, longer when he's fully matured.

Also, Ozzie only slept in his crate the first week or two that we had him (3 1/2 months old). After that he slept on his dog bed in our bedroom.

Of course we close all doors to bedrooms and bathrooms, no food of any type left out, counters totally cleared, no access to cleaning products and no plants. And we make sure he has some type of chew toy that cannot be shredded or swallowed.

Our old Lab was perfectly trained to be alone in the house for any length of time. From when he was 7 months, we never had to take ANY special measures for him. He was never in a crate his entire life.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I didn't crate either of my dogs and didn't have any real problems. We were just extra careful when they very very young to pick up anything on the floor and put the TV remote out of reach (learned that the hard way). For the most part, I think dogs just lay around when we are there, but who knows.

I say start with short, one-hour tests and see how he does. If you start loosing couch cushions, back to the crate. :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, i think we will start little by little especially since we arent sure of his entire life before. If he was a puppy i would feel differently but we arent really sure what he has been through nor done

:lol:

Michele

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I am a big fan of crating. It only takes one accident to have a big problem, but its a personal choice and very dependant on the dog. We always give a treat when we send the dogs to their crate. LDs are quick learners when liver is involved. i can say crate from outside and they run inside and upstairs to their crate and start drooling for their liver. its a nice behaviour to train.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I'm like KTodd........for now my doodles are crated when I leave as i know their safe and sound.
Max is 23mos old and a few times has been out of his crate for 3hours and been fine but his crate door is broken and we forgot
but he seems to LIKE his crate when we leave the house.

Peanut is 18mos old ...she's good but she can chew things at times like Books and magazines.

So for now they're crated when we leave and I don't spend my time worrying about them then.

Depends on the dog too. I've always waited till a dog shows more maturity around age 2yrs old
I do know though they're fine for 15-20 min when i walk one doodle at a time some days.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I would say it is all the dog. Cacao was always been free in the house. I do crate her if we will be out for a really long time. But normally up to four to five hours in the house by herself. Beau I don't know. Two doodles free worries me. I don't know if or when we will try that.

Each dog is different some can be trusted other not so much. Try it for just a hour or so. Leave out toys, fill the Kong toy and go. That is what we did with Cacao.

Let us know how it goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts