Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sort of random but do you guys prefer metal or plastic crates?
We have always had plastic and Charlie as been using our boxers since she has puppies and has not been sleeping in it. I have to buy him his own soon since she will need it and I'm not sure which is better? I was considering getting a metal because I think they look better. Where did you all get yours and how much did you pay?

·
Registered
121 Posts
wal mart.

The medium one for ~$40. I actually still have this, and Bandit used it for maybe 6 weeks. $20 + shipping?

The XL one, ~$70.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought the metal crate because it looks nicer, but have had to drape a towel over it because Bandi likes the enclosed feeling of it (I guess!!) I find with the towel she will enter it for naps, but without she will scoot up next to the couch or somewhere else that is sort of protected. (She is only 16 weeks old) So now my pretty metal crate has a big ugly towel on it. (I guess I could put a pretty towel over it!!! lol.)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I use both too...they sometimes want seclusion and the plastic works well for that...so does covering the metal one...and the metal one does fit and look better.
I bought my plastic one at Wal Mart and the metal one on eBay...just be sure to check shipping and the reputation of the seller!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I was wondering if any of you have those crates that look like wicker? They are made of plastic rattan though so they don't absorb wetness or odors. Costco has one for around $170.00. I am considering it as it will look nice in my bedroom but I was wondering if anyone had experience with them and how well they hold up.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Keith, I think that is a little smaller than what we are looking for but thanks anyway! That is interesting about the towel over it, but it makes sense! Those wicker looking ones are BEAUTIFUL! I was also looking on ebay and think i may get the best deal on there. But you are right Jac, they will get you if you dont check the shipping!! We already have 2 plastic crates so i guess if he doesnt like the metal then he can switch with one of the girls or we'll figure something out!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
We actually put the plastic crate inside a large wire crate...our dogs slept in the plastic one and played in the wire portion. Then as they grew, we took the plastic crate out. (I kept finding Lexie in the plastic one, even though she could barely fit through the door...I don't know how she did it, but she'd go in, turn around and poke her head out...she looked like a turtle!)

·
Registered
41 Posts
We have a plastic one for Quinnie. I like it because it is so easy to carry around: we bring it upstairs for him to sleep in in our room, then in the AM it goes downstairs for naps or for when we go out. We put it in the back of the car for going to the daycare, vet, etc. Even though it is pretty big, it is light and has a handle on top. Quin seems to like it - he willingly goes in for naps, bed or when he's had too much Zoe (his big [human]sister). I think the advantage of the wire ones, though, is the adjustability.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Instead of a towel, we used a fitted sheet so it could be tucked around the sides, back and top of Chester's crate.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We have the big metal one and we use a furniture moving blanket to cover ours - Brutus really seems to like it better that way.

I like the metal ones because they are easier to clean - we had a Basenji named Charlie that died on Fanconi and in the end they start losing their bowls and throwing up a lot and man cleaning out the plastic one was aweful! While my doodles aren't sick, it is still easier for me to pull out the tray to clean the bottom of it when something does happen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts