Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,
Buffy is going wee wee in her crate when we are not home. I am CERTAIN that this is not a 'have to go' issue, but rather a "I'm mad/sad/anxious" issue. She will go out and make potty right before we leave, and go out and make alot of potty when we return, but invariably there is a small amount in her crate when we return. You can tell she's even trying to get it to go out of her crate because it's always in the same place, right by the door. It's never alot. It doesn't matter if I'm gone for 1/2 hour or 2 hours.
She is otherwise a complete delight!
Any ideas?
Betty

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would be an awful lot of drool. I'll check next time though. I've never really given it a second thought, I just clean it up. Never thought to smell it, or even make sure it's yellow. Do doodles drool that much?
We are going out tonight for about 2-3 hours to see my niece in a play. I'll check it out.

G

·
Do you have any towels, or a bed in there with her? Murphy was doing the same thing in his crate, but he would go on a small bed that we had put in there for him. We took it out and he never did it again. Just a thought....

·
Registered
853 Posts
Maybe she's doing submissive peeing. When she hears you coming in the house, she might get all excited and let out some pee. Some dogs do this when someone comes in the door (family or stranger). They just can't help it and most of the time it goes away with age and ignoring it. My standard poodle used to do this for the first couple of years, but we started ignoring her when we came in instead of greeting her in an excited manner and it went away.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
betty...how old is buffy? and how long have you had her?

i am just wondering as Max took a couple of weeks till he stopped peeing when he was in his cratte. And depending on her age and how long you have had her and crated her to-date that may play a factor

Peanut now at 14 wks no longer pees in her crate for a week now.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
betty said:
It would be an awful lot of drool. I'll check next time though. I've never really given it a second thought, I just clean it up. Never thought to smell it, or even make sure it's yellow. Do doodles drool that much?
We are going out tonight for about 2-3 hours to see my niece in a play. I'll check it out.
Betty,
before I started giving Jonah freedom (I am not recommending freedom) I would come home and the carpet was soaked around the cage. I thought pee and when I sopped it up...surprise....anxiety drool. I couldn't believe that much drool could come out of any dog.

Good luck, hope things work out.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
sessa35 said:
ohhh gene, I just found it funny that there were TWO posts in a row that were just begging for your couch reference!!! hahahahaha! :lol: :lol:

call me a "funny opportunist" :twisted: but no harm intended really....er, the harm in this whole thing was only done to the couch...er...yeah, sorry bout that again.

I DO hope that you'll feel better soon though! :)

p.s. nice use of the word "rapier" in the other post :? :lol: :lol: ....(sessa swipes a big "V" on the wall with her nimble steel)
FUNNY OPPORTUNIST

NYAH!! :twisted:

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Hope you're feeling a little better Gene....and your doods are keeping you nice and toasty and Jonah is over his 'problem'! :D
You're not layin around on his couch now are ya??? :shock: hahahhaha :D
I'll bet they're thrilled to have you home!!!
Get well soon Gene! :D

Kathie, Raleigh & Molly! :D :twisted: :?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Score: Buffy 1 - Betty 0

Okay - so here's how the big test went tonight. We got home and Buffy had solved her problems on her own. The crate was completely dry. It was also completely empty - no Buffy. She simply let herself out of the crate and peed on the floor (pooped on the carpet, too). The cage has two doors, one at the end and the other in the middle. We let her in through the middle door. I've never really checked the security on the other door. Much to my surprise, her potty mishaps were the only damage. Several of the kids toys were on the floor, but no chewing.

Thanks for all the tips in the meanwhile. I will try next time to leave her with no blankie/pillow. I have also made the crate a little smaller. Maybe that's why she was so desperate to get out this time.

They are funny little things.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took the kids shoe shopping this afternoon (UGH). We were gone for about 1.5 hours. Crate was dry upon return, and Buffy was still inside. I have made the crate about 2/3 the size it was and have only an old beach towel inside, no more cushion. That was a pretty short trip, but a successful one. No drool or pee pee.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Lizzie was kept in a crate at the rescue center, so was, in essence, trained to potty inside. We've had a doodle of a time training her to go outside because she thinks its normal to go inside. Could this be what's going on?

LizziesMom

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, that may have something to do with it. She was crated at the rescue and also left loose at times in a basement. I think she did think it was okay to go wherever. She has good days and bad days, but the good are outnumbering the bad :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This morning I was gone for 15 minutes, taking the kids to school. When I got back there was liquid on the floor outside the cage in droplets. So I thought, how did she do that? There was just a little in the cage and her towel was damp. It's gotta be drool. Good call! I kept trying to smell it, but it was pretty odorless. Now, I know sometimes it is pee, but it's nice to know it isn't always! I had no idea doodles were so drooly - or does the anxiety of the crate make them go drool crazy?
There is definitely a learning curve for doodle owners.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Betty...........Tanner can drool enough to soak the back seat on any ride...5-30 minutes. He loves to go but the minute he is in the car the drooling starts...just drips of his beard. It is almost as much as when he has finished drinking from his water bowl.....

Believe me, you never want to be the one stuck in the back seat with him :p :p

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
betty said:
or does the anxiety of the crate make them go drool crazy?
I feel its the anxiety. One of our dogs had to be quaranteened as a pup and is not a fan of crates. he can drool a HUGE puddle. they work themselves up sometimes. a towel by the front area seems to help a lot.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts