Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody

Looking for crate training advice.

I have had Lexi about 2 weeks. She is about 10 weeks old.

We are using the crate for bedtime, and when I am at work (three hours a day; 3 days per week)

She is very good at going in, and does not dirty her crate. I do not crate her any other time except when I shower. I spend all of my free time gated in the kitchen with her. Cooking has been an adventure.

She is very good for me when I am working with her for treats. She can sit, come, give kisses, and give paw so far. I take her out at least every hour, and every time I see her sniffing around, still she finds a way to leave at least 2 accidents per day, sometimes only 5 minutes after we've come in. I tell her one firm no if I catch her in the act and take her right out with me (but usually she does not go at those times), otherwise I just clean it up. But she is only really reliable about going potty first thing in the morning after being crated all night, or when I get home from work and she has been crated for 3 hours. We praise and treat her every time she goes, but other than after crating it seems to be "hit-or-miss".

In addition, she has bouts of overexcited psycho-puppy, where she seems to nip everyone and everything. She will also run back and forth at top speed for about 5 minutes.

She is really wearing me out. The nipping and chewing things is really a problem.

I'm wondering if she would do better if I used the crate more often. Any thoughts?

Maddie

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Maddie, Sorry this is going to be a long one! It sounds like you are doing a great job! She is very lucky to have you.

I was told by our vet that until they are about 4 months old thay can continue to accidents. Lani and Toby to some extent, did exactly the same thing with potty training. At about 4 months it got much better and by 6 months accidents only happened when we did not pay attention to her. then we got Toby and she helped us train him a little faster. We did everything you are doing, it does get better and Nature's Miracle and a small hand held carpet cleaner were my best friends. Some had suggested keeping her crated all the time till she was potty trained, I couldn't do it.

For the nipping we used a startle can (a metal tin filled with some coins) when Lani would begin bitting. It worked for Lani but Toby was another story! We also gave Lani time outs when she started nipping, she would sometimes get the idea if she nipped she was separated from us, which she didn't like.

Lani also went into Cujo mode as we called it in the evening . We would crate her to help her settle down, we put her in with a treat and told her to settle without being angry. After she settled down we let her out. Here are some linkson the subject.

http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/view ... light=cujo

Chewing - I bought a couple of the bleached bones from petsmart (make sure they are not too thin on one end - they can splinter easily) and kongs that you can stuff treats into so they have to work at it, keeps them busy. They still get a hold of things and chew. Today Toby and Lani chewed up my daughters paycheck, he went counter surfing. I was able to tape enough of it together so she could cash it!

It does get better it is just hard to remember while everything is going on.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Maddie, Here is a thread about potty training. Hopefully it helps.

http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/view ... y+training

Do you have anyone else that helps with Lexi? We did tag team with the potty training if they had accidents, one to take out, one to clean. We always used the command "out" when we went out to go potty and "in" when we cme in. We also used "no" and "out" as we grabbed them to take them out when they had accidents in the house. They can be exhausting but they are SOOOOO WORTH IT!

We had never raised a puppy before so we had a lot of learning to do! I would do it again in a heart beat!.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
the week i got jonah we had a family reunion so needless to say the confusion was extreme at my house. my cousin works for a vet a what they do with accidents is take what you clean up in the house and place it in their potty area outside and use praise. seemed to work for jonah.

also, my trainer said about the nipping, say ouch loudly, and cross your arms, no eye contact or praise. took about 3 or 4 days, but it's a done deal. felt kinda foolish, but hey, what ever it takes.

we also suffer from the wild doodle fits. i just ignore him, it only lasts a few minutes, then he settles down. hardest part is not laughing!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI...sorry but I am sitting here giggling as I too have this adorable 4mos old " MAX" aka MacAttack. HE is now 17wks old and every nite I let MAX go nuts for 10min running like his tail was on fire...dodging furniture, catching imaginery crooks, leaps in a single bound, and jumping as high as superman. We sit watch and laugh.MY kids NOW 14,17, & 18yr old did the same thing when little. short burst of tazmanian devil energy just before bedtime:!: :twisted:

HOWEVER, if he tries to Nip we loudly say "OUCH" and he stops. this has always worked with my previous dogs and friends dogs too. Putting a tad of peanutbutter on his teething kong helps. Lastly, his dogy pillowbed is his timeout area.

HOW old is your puppy??? I've had MAX a mo now and he is almost completely housebroken. At 13-14 weeks I walked him every 45-60min...15-16 wksd every 60-90min. NOW at 17 wks every 1.5hrs. OR every time he wakes up, plays hard, or sniffs like a vacuum. HE does give us stronger/louder whimpering signals like when I am in the middle of blowdrying my hair. :roll: :shock: :lol:

crate training??? It took 3 weeks of incessant barking till now he'll go peacefully when I leave for work etc.-- but no way for nighttime.

I find if i treat him more like raising a child and not a dog life is easier :p dont worry he'll setttle down a bit at 4mos like mine and you'll enjoy more and be less worn out. :D
good LUCK and congrats

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Well, I must tell you that this will pass...but only in about 2 years! (I know, NOT funny!)
You can train your puppy about nipping, and to "settle" and things like that...I really like the idea of tethering a pup to you for the first few weeks.
Everyone in your household has to do the same thing. If you have some trying to stop the nipping and others playing tug of war...you won't have much luck...I don't know how it is in your home, but this can be a problem.
Here is a great link for crate training and it also has info about potty training: http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

And here is a link in the same web page for various training issues.
http://www.doglogic.com/apdtfaqs.htm

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
how big is big?

thanks jac and HI Linda.
Max is 17wks old...20.5in high and 35lbs a week ago. I don't know if this is considered big for a labradoodle. anyone else know????

To me he seems big hahhahaa a big gentle giant :D

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
max is a real cutie!
jonah was born 4/2 and when i adopted him on 8/16 he weighed in at around 37#, he's now 52#.

jac, i love reading your replies, i keep finding links that i wish i'd had 2 months ago! btw, jonah graduates fron beginners class next week. like a typical kid, he does much better in class than at home!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi everyone,

Lexi has had 2 great days, thanks to all the links and advice I got here.

Here's what has been working well

#1--we do not play fetch in the house-this encourages "hyper mode"
#2- we hold mouth briefly for nipping and say "no bite"
#3-we use the crate for short periods of settle down time if we see she is beginning to escalate.
#4-we redirect inappropriate chewing of tv wires to well stuffed puppy kong

Hoping improvement will continue because she has been a delight!

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maddie

·
Registered
177 Posts
Try cutting a slit in a tennis ball and filling it up with doggie treats, they love a puzzle. Someone here recomended it for Bella and she loves it :D

Also try freezing the kongs as it keeps puppy occupied for longer :wink:

Jamie

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
to jac and all

I wanted to say "thankkkkkkkkkkkk you :!: "
You are all great with your info, stories ,pics and love of labradoodles. My family cannot believe how much everyonee loves their dogs ...sharing with one another enthusiasm, experiences and knowledge.
and yes I can really seehow anyone would want more than one. :D

some days I think i got off the hook easily with MAX being easy to train with love, kindness, praise and YES doggie treats. I have never ever had a dog quite like MAX and look forward to having him a very long time.

This forum is fantastic....have a great day all

annmarie....max and family :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts