Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we've had Gracie for about 4days... she is just about 9 weeks old... she is doing extremly well in potty training..... :D but not in crate training... or maybe I should say we, they parents are not doing well in the crate training department... she cries at night ( .. the 1st night she only cried 15 mins..Thank God.. the second night longer and I weakened... let her out and let her sleep with us.. needless to say we all slept great, but I know this is not a good idea because she will get bigger. and she needs to feel good about her crate,and for when we leave her durning the day.
So, 3 rd night she did good, 20 mins.. which is much harder on us I believe, to hear all the tones and types of Barks she bellows out is funny and sad... but I keep thinking am I doing this right? should I go and tell her no Bark so she knows it's not accecptable? which is what I did on the 4th night after 15 mins or so of bark I went and told her no Bark.. mistake.. for she barked another 15 mins before giving up to rest. did I mention this occurs around 3 am.. when my husband goes to bed.. he gets home from work at 1 am( but in a few weeks will go on days).. so there will be no distrubances at night.. I have tallked to him about the training... but he comes home lets her out.. and tries to put her in the crate, she cries which disrupts his tv watching ( really hearing) so he lets her play then sleep on his lap... cant blame him( he want to love on her), but know this is not good for training... and wont be good when he goes on days and she will want some attention at 1am...Her crate is in the living room... our house is not that big.. 1400 sq ft 3 bedroom.. one bedroom is a play/guest room.. should I put her crate in there?
So I basically have to hear her cry twice a night.. once when I put her to bed at 10-11 then at 3 when my husband does.
Sorry this is long, just wanted to get all the facts out for proper advice.

Thanks,
K~

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Kimberly,

You know, I can sympathize with your problem...I am like you, I am a softie and cave when the dogs cry...however, as you have mentioned...you are setting up a pattern and what you are training your puppy is that if she cries, you WILL get her out eventually.

So, as hard as it is, you do have to keep her in the crate...UNLESS you are okay with a mixed schedule.

Now, if you are okay with her sleeping on your bed or your husband's lap...there is no one who will judge you...I think that we all feel that same tug of closeness (why else did we get dogs if not for that type of love and companionship?) Still...what you are saying and what you are doing are at odds.

I suggest that you really give this some thought. If you want her to sleep in her crate, you will need to change what you are doing...BUT if you are fine with her on your bed, then it appears that she is good to sleep through the night there...so I'd quit trying to fight it...if you like it and she likes it...there is no rule that she HAS to sleep in the crate. (I'll get flack on that statement. :wink: )

If you do want her to crate train, you might want to teach her "nite nite" or "kennel up" commands...I have taught my dogs "nite nite" because when I want to sleep (sometimes sleep in) and the dogs want to play, I say, "nite nite" and they leave me alone. (Mine are not crated at night.)

You could try putting a blanket over the crate to give her a more secure feeling and you could buy a snuggle puppy...they have heating pads inside and a heart beat. Sometimes that is comforting.

It is a personal choice and it sounds like your family is much like mine...and we like the puppy to feel loved. We love to cuddle with them. So, we put ours on the bed. Everyone is happy. (I am not saying that crating is not showing love...I believe that crating is a good thing to teach...whether or not the pup sleeps there at night.)

Other folks would say that this is wrong...but my dogs still love their crate and go in it for naps and to feel secure...

If you decide that you are okay with your puppy not sleeping in the crate, then be prepared to work on various potty issues and chewing issues...and making the surrounding safe. If you decide to crate....do it without giving in. Your dog is trying to learn what is expected of her...and you are giving her mixed signals...not on purpose...in fact, it is out of love...but still, your pup can't learn when you are not consistent.

I have posted this link many times, maybe I have given it to you before...if so, I apologize...but I like it very much and think it is extremely helpful: http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

The main thing I want to say is...don't beat yourself up if you decide not to crate train her...many people don't crate train...it is a bit more complicated, but certainly is your personal choice...no one should judge you on that decision.

G

·
Hi Kim! Jacque gave excellent advice. I just want to add that we keep the crate next to our bed in the bedroom at night. They really want to be with their family at that age. I am trying to break Bella of her 1am 'need' to go out. Last night I told her to 'lay down' when she whimpered. It worked, she woke again at 7am to go out. I want to add that she is 18 weeks and until last night I have taken her out every night at 1am. It is probable that at less than 9 weeks, Gracie DOES need to be taken out in the middle of the night. I think if you move her crate to your bedroom, the unnecessary barking and crying will stop. I bought another crate for the kitchen for when I have to leave her alone during the day. (I got tired of lugging the crate up and down each morning and night.) And I am no expert, but I imagine if you want to let her sleep with you and then use the crate JUST for when you leave her alone or for her rest area during the day, that would work fine.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Crate Training

Denver has a 3 crates, one in the livingroom, one in our bedroom and one in the porch outside. I too do not want to lug crates around the house. At bedtime I bring Denver upstairs around 9:30 or 10:00 pm.
I put him in his crate and tell him nite nite. He cries from 5 to 15 minutes
It breaks my heart but as I usually have 4 or 5 cats sleeping on or around the bed I have to follow this routine, My husband comes to bed around 11:30 or midnight and takes Denver out to potty if he is awake. Denver then sleeps to about 5am and my Hubby(what a good man) takes Denver out so I can sleep. He returns Denver to the crate untill I get up at about 6:30 am. From 6:30 till 8am it is feeding time and play time and lots of hugs and kisses and reasurrence for all the animals in my house, so there day starts out good and happy. We both go to work around 8:30 am and Denver stays in the downstairs crate form 8:30 to 11:am when I can come home for a break to let him go potty. Denver goes back to crate at 11:30 till hubby comes home at 12:30. Back in crate around 1:pm but fortunately Hubby comes back at 2pm. I finish work at 4pm. Busy schedule but this way although he seems to spend a lot of time in his crates he does get lots of break periods. We have to be consistent for this to work and have only been doing it for a week so far. Also we have a lot of cats so Denver is always crated for his safety. Once we are home it is family time and play time. Sorry this is so long but I just thought it might help others who are feeling guilty about crate training.

Blueteal

·
Registered
164 Posts
Everyone has given some really great advice, and I will say that my doodle was never crate trained (for my own personal reasons) and it has worked out fine. Leno has his own dog pillow next to my bed, and most nights he ends up in my bed anyway :shock: . Something I have mentioned before in other topics like this is honestly I feel more secure and protected with him not crated. If you decide to continue with the crate training just think positive and eventually you will get through it all. I guess its kinda like getting our babies to sleep through the night, the crying breaks your heart but you have to do what you gotta do! Good Luck!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi Otto sleeps in the dining room in his crate, he is 18 weeks old and I put him in the garden at 11 pm, and he sleeps until 8 am next morning, he is very good and does not cry, I turn off the TV and say bedtime, away he goes to his crate, this is the only time he goes in as we have not left him alone yet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Quin is 6 months and has been sleeping in his crate since we brought him home at 12 weeks. Actually, he started sleeping in a crate at the breeder's - he was already crate-trained when we got him. He went through a little rebellion period a few weeks ago. I posted about it here:

http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/view ... highlight=

My husband lets him out when he get up to go down to get coffee, tea and a sippy cup of milk (for me, himself and my daughter, respectively) then they both come back up and we ALL cuddle in the bed and have our morning beverages. He often naps on the bed with me, too. But at night (and when we go out during the day) he is in his crate. I am not sure if we'll change and ultimately let him sleep elsewhere - but for now I think it is the best thing for us. He is potty trained but he is a chewer and the crate is the one place he can be where I know he isn't getting into something.

Lisa

1 - 7 of 7 Posts