Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know we got our new baby Thursday! We love him to pieces! He is a really good dog! Here is my question...
As someone who has NEVER had good luck with crate training, I am asking what the difficulty level of training a 6 month old pup to a crate will be?
Mudd has never been crate trained and has had free roam of the back yard. He is in the house with us now and is doing fabulous, BUT there will be some days when he can not go to work with one of us and I don't feel comfortable tuning him loose in the backyard or the house just yet. We brought the crate in this evening and introduced him to it by putting his bed and some toys in it. He went in and took a look around, but quickly exited.
All of my dogs have always cried so bad when they were in their crates that is seemed almost cruel to me, so I always gave in :roll:
I am thinking about letting him sleep there tonight to see how it goes.
Any suggestions????

·
Registered
150 Posts
crate training

He may cry a bit, but crate training is not cruel. It will teach limits and help him to understand that outside is where he goes potty. If he is 5 months old it will probably only take a couple of weeks to get him into a normal pattern.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I put Chip in a crate his first night here and he's done fine with it. I have to physically force him into it, but once in, he lays down and just goes to sleep.
If I just leave it open he will go in and out on his own just being nosy, but he's yet to go in willingly when I need him to. lol He was 7 months old before he ever saw one. I keep it at the foot of my bed, so would definitely know if he was throwing a fit overnight.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
You just have to do it slowly. Maybe 5-10 minutes and increase the time. Soon he'll be fine. I never thought Bogie would get use to his either, but now he loves it!!
Good Luck! They really are a blessing and dogs love them for security and their little space.....their little den. I'm sure it'll work with time.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Easy one: get a bunch of tiny treats that he likes and play find it by sitting in front of the crate and throwing the tidbits inside. When he goes in to get the treat tell how wonderful he is. Do this for 5 minutes at a time (lots of treats) perhaps 3x a day. When the dog goes in by itself for the treat add a command, I use "kennel". I use the same technique for teaching the dog to get into the car the boat whatever.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I think it definitely can be done and I don't think 6 mos is too old. I definitely see the benefits of a crate trained dog. We did not crate Dexter and Kirby is crated. I agree with the others...start slowly, give him lots of treats/praise. Don't let him out when he cries...only once he gets quiet. Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
We've crate trained Charlie from the early days but I also use the treat method. He still gets a liver treat when he is crated. By around 9pm he is hanging around his crate, waiting to be put to bed... and get his liver treat. :D

Deb

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Yes, use treats! As mentioned in a couple of the posts above.
Don't lock him in until he is used to it, then only shut the door for a few seconds at first, then praise a lot.
We use the term "kennel up!" and toss in treats...every dog in the house vies for the kennel, but it is reserved for the puppies in training!
We often give a long lasting chewie and they are great.
Here is a great link to crate training: http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts