Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had our 15week old puppy for a few weeks now. And for some reason or another she doesn't want to go to her cage at night. She likes her soft bed in our living room. I don't want to put it in the cage right now. We are still potty training. Should i let her try and sleep out of her cage and see what happens?? What would you do?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I say it's a personal choice :D

Max slept on our bed from day 1 at age 13 weeks on and never had an accident during the night nor left out bed.

Peanut on the other hand was a regular pisser and a half and we crated nightly till she was about 10mos old and could also trust her not to explore everything during the night hahahhaa
she's now trustworthy :wink:

Beau......he loves his crate and runs in it at 10pm every night
we tried letting him sleep in our room but he ends up being a
"Tigger-doodle" bouncing all over the place hahahaa otherwise he potty trained in week

PS just make sure socks, towels, etc any chewing hazards are up out of reach including EYEGLASSES hahhahaha

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner started sleeping out of the crate but in our room at about 20 weeks. We still use a baby gate so he doesn't wander the house. He thinks he is a watch dog and has to bark at everything during the night. He also didn't want to be in a crate at night.

I agree with Annmarie, if you let him out of crate, just make sure there is nothing he can get into.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
It's your preference, but we had Cinnamon in our room uncrated at night. I would wake up when she was restless and would let her out at all times in the night. She soon was potty trained though (even though it seemed like an eternity then!). We only crated her when we left the house. Couldn't trust her not to chew something she shouldn't, like woodwork!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
we started letting Dex sleep in our room around 6-8 months...when he was fully potty trained. Have you tried moving the crate to your room? What about just confining her to a room (w/a floor - no carpet) instead?

It really is a personal choice - do you want to have her in your room in the future? If not, don't give in and make her get used to her crate.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nicky slept in his crate at night for months, but finally got too big for it. It wasn't tall enough for him to stand up in it! Now he sleeps on his bed next to mine, but he may decide to sleep in a cooler place when the weather gets warmer. Last fall he preferred the hardwood floor in a hallway.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks i was unsure if it would hurt cage training. But last night she slept in our room on her pink bed and slept and got me up so i could take her out. I am so very proud of her. She was so good all night. I took her out at 2:30am this morning then we came back to bed and she slept till 6:45am. She is a good little doodle. I am a very proud mommy.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Kryczek would whine once in the middle of the night and we would take him outside...at 12 weeks we decided to let him sleep on our bed and he has always slept through the night.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
sdrudge said:
Thanks i was unsure if it would hurt cage training. But last night she slept in our room on her pink bed and slept and got me up so i could take her out. I am so very proud of her. She was so good all night. I took her out at 2:30am this morning then we came back to bed and she slept till 6:45am. She is a good little doodle. I am a very proud mommy.
Whatever you are doing is working just fine for your sweet little Doodle...

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
sdrudge...what you wrote showed true love.
getting up in the middle of the night well not many like it but you had a way of dealing with it so positively.
thanks for adding a smile to my day!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I didnt want to hear the cries so I let Sam sleep on the floor in my room on a pair of my panse form day 1 (8 weeks old) and she to this day now 13 weeks has never went potty in my room and I have slept 8 hrs many times. I just take her out as soon as I wake up (Apartment) and she always goes. At first after I would come in she would sneak off and go #2 in the apartment but now she stays outside every morning till both are complete. She has not pottied in the house in a week and a half.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Kryczek would whine once in the middle of the night and we would take him outside...at 12 weeks we decided to let him sleep on our bed and he has always slept through the night.
it's amazing isn't it? Dex is the same way...if he sleeps on the floor in our room he usually wakes us up early (on the weekend)...but at the foot of our bed he's quiet for much longer...of course with 2, it's rare they are both quiet after 7 am, but we still try :)

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's neat how our doodles I think just want to be close to us. Now I love my dog but I will not share my bed. I like my space tooo much. I have a hard time with sharing my bed with my husband. lol It is more like he has a hard time sharing with me. But I think my little girl has found her place in our hearts and in our bedroom.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Well.......Bogie does the same thing, but at 20 weeks.......I still feel safer with him crated at night.
But HEY! Ya might luck out and not have a problem! That would be awesome!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
We tried to crate train Sampson after we adopted him. Even though he is 2 years old, we were told it could still work.

Unfortunately, someone abused/overused the crate as punishment apparently... Poor guy stood frozen, his head down and looking terrified the whole time we put him in there. He looked really traumatized so we never tried again.

But he is good about telling us when he needs to go now!!! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts