Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new doodle will be here on June 16th. I was looking at crates on Ebay but there are so many sizes to choose from. Does anyone have any recommendations? Will the crate still be used when she becomes an adult? I have never used this training method.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I bought a Midwest Double door black wire crate. It received wonderful ratings from other people. It also comes with a crate divider, so you can make the living area small for a puppy and then remove the divider once the puppy is house trained and is growing. They say to keep the area small during house training because the puppy will not want to soil the area where it sleeps and therefore will "hold it" until let out (as long as it is a reasonable amount of time for a puppy). I too am waiting for a puppy to arrive. Our puppy will arrive on June 29th. I bought the 42" size, but after talking with the breeder she felt that the 36" size would also work for a dog that will be about 55lbs a somewhat small standard. I may exchange mine for the 36".

I look forward to hearing about your new arrival, keep the pictures coming too! :D

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
We used the x-large black crate for Denver from day 1 without
the dividers and never had an accident in the crate.
We did have oversized pillows, while he was little
so he could be all snuggled in.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I used XL from the beginning also no dividers.
Why spend the money on a little one? then buy a big one later.
I give all my parents the option of a big shipping crate so it will
last the puppies lifetime :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
One thing we learned about using a wire crate, rather than a plastic one that is more "enclosed" - it really helped to cover the crate with a beach towel or blanket. Bigsby would whine & whimper as long as he could see out - and the wire crates are, of course, way more "open" than the plastic ones - but once we covered up the crate completely (including the front door), then he was able to quiet down. Now that he's a little older (4 months) he's handling the "view" much better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts