Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be getting out new Labradoodle soon :D . Did a search on crate training which is what we plan to do but would like some user recommendations on what type (brand) of crate is best. What type works best (plastic or cage), what is usually kept in a crate (bed), location of crate, etc. Please give any advice you may have.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi! I would get a crate that fits your doodle's expected size at adulthood. Many larger crates come with a "divider" that essentially makes the crate size adjustable as your doodle grows. (Your pup will probably do better with training if your keep her space cozy and small with respect to her size.)

There are tons of configurations of wire crates with one, two, or three doors. If you have a specific place in your house you plan to put the crate you may need it to open in a certain way. The wire ones also often collapse, making them easier to store or to travel with.

The more enclosed plastic crates are usefull if you plan to do any airline travel (the wire ones aren't allowed on most airlines). Some people have a preference for one kind or the other. I have used both and have not observed much difference to the puppy, but personlly I found the wire crate easier to clean.

When the pups were little we usually put old towels in with them, so accidents could be quickly cleaned up and popped in the washing machine. As the doods got older they wanted to eat the towels so now we just put the pups in there with a chewy. We also had a period in which we used the wrapping paper from our recent move, but all in all I think the towels worked better and created less garbage to throw away.

I'm an interior designer and really looked hard for a crate that was "attractive." But I gave up. The nicest looking ones are rattan,wicker or fake wicker and wouldn't last a day with my doods' teeth. Also they're incredibly expensive.... Along the same line, there are some fabric crates - sort of like tents (pup tents, HA!), but these wouldn't last at all with a doodle.

Here's a web site I like for buying gear for my doodles. They have lots of crates to choose from: www.jbpet.com

Good luck with you new baby. You're in for a blast!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts