Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there. sorry to be so full of questions, but this forum is really great!

our dog is about to outgrow her 36" wire crate. she is 7 months old now and a great sleeper.

do we go ahead and buy the 42" crate, or is she getting old enough where we might be able to do away with the crate? We don't plan on traveling much with her (I'd prefer to board her) and she sleeps through the night. i'm afraid I don't have room for a 42" crate; currently she sleeps in the laundry room so my husband can quietly shut the door when he gets up at the crack before dawn. (he used to wake her up when he'd get up at 4:30 or 5 am because he is just so darn loud, and then I'd have to get up with her because she'd bark when he left her gated in the kitchen to get ready to leave for work. i was putting her to bed at 10:30 pm and then having to get up at 5:00 am to just sit in the kitchen with her.

so crating her in the laundry room has worked great, and I'm not really keen on letting her sleep in our room. she has just started earning freedom in the house but has peed on our carpets without warning a few times, so it makes me want to keep her gated in the kitchen.

i am worried about her chewing my cabinets if she gets bored, so maybe I'm answering my own question about the crate; maybe we should go ahead and get the bigger crate.

do they ever get to the point where they don't need to sleep in a crate (like after the puppy stage?).
thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Bandit likes his. It's his place, and he can be safe thee no matter what. When he is tired and sleeping at my feet and I stand up to head upstairs to bed, off he goes into his bed. Rarely do I have to say anything, but when I do "bed" is all it takes and bam, he's there.

We got the XL crate a while back that had a divider, long since removed and a double door scenario. 42.5x28x32

~$70 @ Wally World

Fits hit GREAT!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi,
The crate question is really an individual one...but I agree with Keith, my dogs like the crate. We have them all over the house and they decide when they want to sleep in them.
As far as chewing, our dogs were really bad until they turned about a 18 months old...then it stopped. I would leave them anywhere now without worry...but then? Noooo way!
Crating in the laundry room is not a bad option...if it works for you all, there is no reason to get another crate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am a big believer in Crates. Our 11 month loves his crate (his safe haven). We have it on our main level and leave the door open whenever we are home. He usually follows us around and will go in his crate to rest or when ever we leave the house. At night he sleeps in the crate with the door closed to avoid any late night accidents or chewing. He will let us know when it is time to go out in the am.

My vote is, if your dog likes the crate (and is trained to use it) keep him/her in it, why rush it? Avoid putting your dog in a situation that may cause problems (unsupervised chewing of the furniture for example).

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Crates are good I know leave mine open unless I'm going to be gone our outside for a while Rogan likes to eat dishrags, washrags, things like that I'm afraid he is going to eat one and not be able to pass it and we will end up in the surgery room. I've tried eveything to break him :roll:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
The 42" crate is really great, if you have room, because it is so roomy for your Doodle. However, we have the 36" crate for our girls...it's been the housebreaking tool for all our Labs, poodles and doodles. Our poodles are leggy and can't exactly stand up comfortably in the crate but they can sleep in it just fine. In fact our tallest poodle (24") loves to go in and lay down. How tall is Maggie? What makes you think it's too small for her? (just asking)

By the way I would guess Maggie is about done getting taller...she should fill out a bit but I would not expect a lot more in the height dept.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm with Maureen. I'm not so sure you're going to need a new crate. I was frantic with my doods growing so fast, but they haven't gotten any taller since about 7.5 months....they've filled out some. I have a 42" crate for BOTH doods at the same time...George and Grace are each about 65 lbs. They don't stay in there all night, though, just during the day if we have to go out for a bit. Both of us work at home, so it's never a really long time, but they love it. They can both stand up and turn around and snuggle, but George quite can't raise his head to it's full height.

I wanted my doods in our bedroom at night, too and there was no way a 42"crate would fit in there! So we tether them each on a bed leg because we still have the chewing problem. They romp into the bedroom every night and settle down right next to the bed and sleep all night. It's been a great solution.

Jac, I'm so glad to hear that your girls still chewed until 18 months. I was starting to think we were messing up somewhere. Grace is still trying to chew on almost everything, if she can sneak it. She knows "drop" and "leave it" but she manages to steal something now and then. Your comment gives me hope that there's room for improvement. I can't afford to keep buying new shoes!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts