Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy goes in her crate at bedtime but every couple of hours she whines until I let her up to my bed at about 5 a.m , she either wants to be with me or my big labrador ! help! :!: :!: :!:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
How old is the puppy? Where is the crate located?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Maybe your puppy needs to go out at 5 a.m.! Nicky is over a year old and no longer sleeps in a crate, but if he has to go during the night he wakes me up. He's not allowed to sleep on my bed.

If you let your puppy out of the crate and onto your bed, then he won't want to sleep in his crate. You have to decide what the rules are.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I understand your problems. Hershey was a 6:42am girl and Gus was a 6:00am boy. they were up early and needed to go out, wanted to play, and were generally ready for the day to begin. They did outgrow this. how old is your pup? If it has to go out, then try going out and then back to the crate with a treat and see if you can get some more sleep. We had to do that with Gus for a while. He sleeps in until about 7 now, at 5 months old.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hmmmm, do you want her to sleep on your bed? If so, then no problem...but if you are trying to get her to sleep through then night in her crate dont' give in to the whine. If you do get her out, let her potty and then back into the crate. We drop a treat in the crate every time the pup goes in so they think it is great fun. Sometimes we even hid the treats so they have a hunt...they love it. The crate becomes their place.
But...we DO let our dogs on the bed and we start early. We've never had a potty problem on the bed and we know if the pup stirs it is time to go out.
Here is a nice link for crate training:
http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

·
Registered
62 Posts
We had trouble crate training. Tegan was neutered by the breeder at 8 weeks old before she came to us and the vet thinks the lazer may have nicked her bladder and she often peed in the crate, so we had to give up on that. Instead we play pen trained and she now sleeps in her play pen on a cushion but she too wakes up really early for a potty outing. Often at 3:00 or 4:00 a.m. Usually if it's earlier than 4:00 a.m. she will settle back in her pen but any later than that and she whines. My husband cannot ignore her and yells at her "enough Tegan" she quietens for a few minutes then whines again. I have told him to not say anything because even speaking is giving her attention but he can't help himself.

If it's 4:00 a.m. or later, we give in and put her on the bed after an outing rather than listen to the whining, this way we know we can get back to sleep. She will only sleep until around 7:30 a.m. anyway, even when on the bed. But she does always start out in her pen. During the initial crate training, she always woke up at 5:30 - 6:00 and started to scratch like crazy in the crate until we got up.

I'm just afraid she will expect to be on the bed earlier and earlier. I wouldn't mind, but we also share the bed with 2 cats, so it gets a little crowded - ha ha ha.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just mimicking what others have said, if you want her to sleep in the crate, just be consistent until she gets used to it. Don't give in to the whining. When we first got Ginny at 6 months of age, she did that for about 7 - 14 days before she settled in and slept through the night in her crate. Some sleepless nights for us with pillows over our heads, but it worked out. Interestingly enough my twin girls did that for about a year as well. Ginny only took about 2 weeks to sleep through the night. They took a year :wink:

• -Ginny wants to go to her crate at about 8 pm - 9 pm. If we want to sleep in, we make sure its more like 9 pm so she will hang out in her crate until about 8 am the next morning.
    -Make sure she goes out to potty before going to bed.
    -Don't give in to her crying! (unless she's having potty or digestive issues of course)
Thinking back its amazing how similar this is to raising toddlers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the replies , Soeli is 9 weeks old and last night she woke me up in her crate ( which is in the dining room) at 2.30 a.m and went to the toilet and I sat up for 20 mins till she went all sleepy and I put her back in the crate and she slept till 6 .00 a.m I don't know if she cried any other time as I felt so ill yesterday from lack of sleep that I probably slept through lol .I feel bright eyed and bushy tailed again today :D :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
At 9 weeks, Pixie was waking me up every couple of hours, too. I'm not sure when you got Soeli, but we got Pixie at 8 weeks, and for the first week I slept on the couch with her crate on the ottoman right next to me, so my face was less than a foot from the crate. Then I put the crate in our room, but on the ottoman so she could see us in the bed, then just on a cushion, and finally on the floor. That process really helped her get comfortable being in the crate at night.

Also, for probably at least a month I would get up at least a couple of times a night to take her out, whenever she cried. At night I pick her up from the crate and carry her to the door, and then carry her back to the crate. I don't talk to her or pet her. I think all that helps her understand that getting out of her crate in the middle of the night is different than in the morning, when we get up. She's about 20 weeks now, and I've only had to get up with her in the middle of the night once in probably at least a month.

It sounds like keeping her in the crate is really helping. The only good thing I have to say about all this is, the midnight wakings end a lot sooner with a puppy than they do with a baby!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts