Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Louie's in his crate and he knows we are elsewhere in the house, he makes a ruckus--a shrieky bark, not the same as barking. I figure he is crying to be freed from jail.

At night when we crate him and head to bed upstairs, he cries a short while but then settles down.

His crate is in a room off my kitchen where he can not see anyone, but he can hear talking, footsteps, keyboard, etc. There are times I have to secure him in order to conduct business with workers in my house (we're renovating) or speak to visitors, etc.

He will go in the crate with some treats and special toys, but once the treats are gone, cover your ears!

Any suggestions as to how to get him to hush, settle, entertain himself?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi Jody,

I'm certainly no expert, Sammy being my first dog ever, but I found she cries less if I cover the crate with a dark blanket even while I am in the house; I guess this promotes the "den" feeling. We also have a "snuggle puppy" for her, which has a battery-operated beating heart, which also seems to help calm her. Finally, I'm sure the tried and true "a tired doodle is a good doodle" would also work here -- if Sammy has been running around before she goes into the crate, she seems to settle right down and fall asleep quickly. Perhaps if you know when visitors will come, have her play some fetch/run around a bit before hand.

I'll look forward to the wise tips from the more experienced folks here!

GH

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Dexter always hated being isolated from us when he knew we were home. Given that he's alone so much when we're at work we tried to not isolate him when we're home. I know that doesn't help :)

I would consider covering the crate as was suggested.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
We keep a radio on for Cacao and I do like the idea of covering the cage. They have some overs for cages.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2755301

A blanket would look just find, well till they learn how to pull it into the cage. Cacao does that. I have been really thinking about getting this. She pulls the blanket off with in ten minutes.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Do you go and let Louie out or talk to him when he starts doing that? If so, ignore him.

A radio or TV works with some dogs/some not, but I'd certainly give it a try.

As for covering the crate, just make sure their is still enough air circulation so he doesn't get too hot

Good luck

·
Registered
80 Posts
This sounds soo familiar :D

if you can move your crate into the living room for now and jus have louie in there while your going about your daily business, get him used to bein in there, then slowly move the crate towards where you want him to be.

we started molly in front room and each day moved her a little bit at a time away, a month and a half later as i type she is in her crate fast asleep in a seperate room, just took persistance!!

good luck

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
great ideas, thanks -- think I will try the radio.

Maybe XM has a "good dog" channel, as they have a channel for everything else!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts