Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 15 week old doodle has been sleeping in his crate in our extra bedroom thru the night until 7am since we got him...at least up until this week. He's been waking up now earlier and earlier every morning. Also, because I work from home, I have been crating him in an extra bedroom for 3 hours at a time. Up until this week, he's been fine with minimal crying. This week, the cranky cries last a good hour and then die down for an hour and then start again. His crate is covered and we have a radio going. I haven't changed anything in terms of feeding or exercise....suggestions?

·
Registered
46 Posts
He is getting older so

I would suggest giving him more exercise and food due to the fact that he is growing and what was enought last week or yesterday may very well not be enough today. I would also suggest keeping him up later at night and feeding him earlier so that he may sleep in a bit later, but his internal clock may just be set different then yours.

good luck and enjoy your doodle
Holly

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will try that. He tends to go to sleep on his own around 9:30pm everynight although we don't put him in his crate until around 10:30pm. How do I know if I am exercising him enough. I take him out to play/walk twice a day for 15-20 min and he seems tired after. He's just growing so fast (already 30 lbs) I am not sure if I can exercise him too much:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does your boy get any off leash(in a secure area) run time? We have 2 puppies and they go for 3 short walks(10 minutes or so) and 3 off leash run times of 10-15 minutes each day**weather permiting...then a little laser tag with daddy at night, a full brush and go to bed.

If the weather is awful they get to go to the pet store and see the other puppies and kitties and birds. Now that they have been neutered(at 21 weeks) they go to daycare 2 days a week. If you can't do daycare, perhaps setting up a playdate or mom's day out with someone else might be in order.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
How much crate time is he getting in a 24 hr period?

He may not be getting enough exercise, puppies need Lots of exercise and also lots of social time with their humans

·
Registered
576 Posts
Being in the same room with you and having stuff to keep him occupied can make all the difference. Changing out his toys, giving him treats at random times through the crate. Talking to him, rewarding him when he's being quiet. Ignoring him when he's whining (unless you think he needs to go out).

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
i too noticed you said the extra bedroom..........what i did was have 2 crates one in my bedroom and the 2nd crate near our living room
but not in it. Meaning our doodles could be with us but in a quiet area where we still walked by etc

i did cover it with a blanket when it was nap time or bedtime. NOW one doodle could not sleep in our room in a crate at night and
seemed much better off in their own area. HOWEVER there was morning afternoon and evening runs outside to wear this doodle out.

LIke kids they all have their own needs and personalities.

I do remember though all dogs/puppies i mean, go thru stages each one did have a stage of changing their sleeping habits at one point
and i also cut back feedings to 2 times a day, making sure they have nap times too. When our doodles seemed too hyper and/or overexcited
it meant nap time just like a kid hahhaaaaaaaaaaaa

hang in there it gets better ....really it does. having a sense of humor while exercising common sense with patience gets you thru it.

i covered the crates with a throw blanket or beach towel. they'd settle down after a few minutes and nap
NOTE one doodle aka MAX he slept on the end of our bed from day one just fine and didn't like his crate unless we were
leaving the house. the other 2 doodles neeeded to sleep in their crates till they were about 10mos old or we'd never get sleep hahaa

soooooo see what works best for you, it's a trial and error method so to speak. also if they wake you up in middle of night
it's usually a short lived puppy thing stage. Go out take them for quick potty walk, no baby talk or play time
just potty time only, put back in crate and/or take them in bed and go back to sleep.

keep us posted on how it goes. no clear cut answer but i am sure many here will have GREAT advice probably better than mine
and you can try out them out seeing what works best.

oh helllllllllo and welcome! :D

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I second what everyone is saying every dog is different. Tia howled her head off night after night and my neighbors were complaining. We tried everything. We put the crate by my bed, I put my hand by her crate so she could know I was there (just about wrecked my arm). I covered her crate (she ate the cover, inch by inch through the bars). I put her in the bathroom with her open crate and blankets, shut the door she tried to eat the door. :evil: Finally out of frustration and lack of sleep I brought her onto my bed. Two things stopped 1. accidents, and 2. howling. From that day on Tia never howled (except in her sleep :lol: ) or went potty in the house. Now most people I hear of have not had this happen but we have. Good luck!

G

·
I was a crate failure with my first puppy. I have another puppy and 2 fosters that are/have been crate trained. The foster I have right now barked for 8 hours straight the first day she was in her crate. (I work for home and could hear her all day). Mandi has been with me for about 3 weeks now and all I have to do is say kennel and she goes right in and settles down.

I feed her in her crate so she has associated food/eating with her crate. When she goes in willingly I will toss a treat in to her if it isn't feeding time. Also I never take her out or acknowledge her when she was barking.

·
Registered
754 Posts
The original poster, buddyb has only made 6 posts between 2005/2006 according to their profile! :shock: Useful comments being made, but I hope their doodle has got over the problem by now! :lol:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
anny51 said:
The original poster, buddyb has only made 6 posts between 2005/2006 according to their profile! :shock: Useful comments being made, but I hope their doodle has got over the problem by now! :lol:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAA!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I just laughed out loud!!

Yes, hope he has this dilemma figured out by now!!

:lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts